Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What was your first brew?

Old 02-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
hopalotamus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

irish red ale extract kit from midwest turned out great

Old 02-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
SmokeShank
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

an english mild from this website, super good!!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #13
JuanKenobi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

DME w/ steeping grains IPA kit from LHBS. Instantly hooked. I think it was our 2nd through 5th batch too!

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 02-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine was some sort of kit IPA. Maybe Brewer's Best? All I can remember is it came in a pretty unremarkable cardboard box from my LHBS. It did not come out very well. Maybe I burned the extract or stressed the god-knows-how-log-it-had-been-at-room-temperature yeast that came with the kit.

That was four years and hundreds of gallons ago... good times.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #15
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kit in a cardboard box from the local flea market (they had a small home-brew section where we bought the "equipment kit" as well). It was a "Pale Ale". I remember we thought it was awesome! Then we brewed another kit, and it tasted the same. Then another and it still tasted the same (they were several different types of beer). The passion fizzled for a couple of years before I tried it again with more information. That first one was a Vanilla Wheat?...Weizen?...not sure, but it was waaayyy better and I was hooked. That was 8 years ago.

P.S. I now realize those first kits tasted the same because it was the same crappy yeast, fermented at the same crappy temp (too high), bottled way to soon, and refrigerated after only two weeks of bottle conditioning. We were still proud of them, though (C'mon, two beer loving college dudes making their own beer, of course we were proud!)

Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #16
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, mine was a gift from my brother in law... He and his wife got me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas in 2008 and I brewed the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the kit. I thought the beer was kind of aweful, but I tried other Mr. Beer recipes. Then I wondered why I was paying $25 for a good Mr. Beer kit for 20 bottles of beer when I can pay that for 50+ with a real kit. The rest is history and now I'm doing all grain batches twice a month.

They created a monster...

Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first was an Irish red brewed last April. I didn't think it was that great when we were drinking it, but since I have kept a few bottles of every brew I have done, I realize it was just green.

I had a sampling on Christmas day with my family and guess which one was the unanimous favorite.... Thats right. The red that was the first brew.

I am now doing 2-3 batches a month and spending way to much time on HBT....
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

Old 02-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #18
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The wife got me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas and it came with a can of Octoberfest and Vienna Malt. Right off the bat I combined the two and it came out great, it was amazing after two months in the bottles. Since then I've moved to extract and partial mash, of course when the money is right all grain is next. So far this year I've brewed 30 gallons and will continue to brew about 3 times a month.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 9 Posts

An amber partial mash.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #20
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Brewers Best Irish Stout way back in November 2010.

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen