Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any Dentists or people with all Porcelain Crowns?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Any Dentists or people with all Porcelain Crowns?

So I chipped my #13 pre molar the other day and the dentist said that a crown is necessary. HE gave me the regular options of Porcelain fused to metal or gold, plus a third option of an all Ceramic/Porcelain crown. I believe I had the latter on a molar that cracked on me 2 years after having it placed (another dentist) after eating a cookie.

My present Dentist says that one of the main advantages of all ceramic\porcelain is that it is bonded to the tooth as opposed to cemented like a PFM. It is also less likely to come loose from sticky foods like caramel. He also said that the data from the 10 year study is coming in for the all Porcelain crowns and that it is favorable.(I am not finding too much info on my own regarding this) The cost difference is $150 more for the all Porcelain over the PFM. I am not so concerned about the price as I am about functionality and longevity

Old 02-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
jkarp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just went through all this with a cracked #31 I had to get crowned. I was tempted to go gold as my dentist said it was by far the best, but chickened out on the gangsta look for PFM. All-porcelain is supposed to be the most natural looking but isn't as durable and isn't recommended for molars. For a #13 it may be ideal though.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Just went through all this with a cracked #31 I had to get crowned. I was tempted to go gold as my dentist said it was by far the best, but chickened out on the gangsta look for PFM. All-porcelain is supposed to be the most natural looking but isn't as durable and isn't recommended for molars. For a #13 it may be ideal though.
I and not gangsta enough for gold either. I have 3 PFM's and all have been good so far. I am just nervous about an all Porcelain since there is no real warranty on the crown

Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Gold should outlast you. I was talked into it and am happy with it.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My neighbor is an endodontist (read: makes a bunch of money doing root canal). Recently he needed a crown, he went with gold. That should tell you.

I also have noticed that gold is much gentler on the gums. I have porcelain and the edge of my gum near the porcelain always seems to be a bit more red.

Gold is fine for the back teeth where they are not too visible during a normal smile (#31 is a good example).

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
zman

Recipes 

My is #13 and it is very visible when I smile or talk. Therefore not an option for me

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I have an all-porcelain crown and it cracked - the whole back side of it just fell apart. The dentist offered to put a crown with a metal substrate in, but at the time I didn't have the time to deal with it, so I just had him patch it. The original procedure was painful enough; they can't get me numb. I absolutely cannot stand the thought of going in and having it yanked, a temporary put in while they make another, then yank the temporary and put a new one back in.

I'm guessing that when it comes to that point I'm going to have to "borrow" some pain killers from someone.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuginator View Post
I have an all-porcelain crown and it cracked - the whole back side of it just fell apart. The dentist offered to put a crown with a metal substrate in, but at the time I didn't have the time to deal with it, so I just had him patch it. The original procedure was painful enough; they can't get me numb. I absolutely cannot stand the thought of going in and having it yanked, a temporary put in while they make another, then yank the temporary and put a new one back in.

I'm guessing that when it comes to that point I'm going to have to "borrow" some pain killers from someone.
How long ago was the initial crown placed? what tooth was it on?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
bugman9317
Recipes 

I have PFMs on my front 6 and have had them about 9 years without any problems. Granted it they don't get as much work as the 13 but I still eat as I normally would.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
How long ago was the initial crown placed? what tooth was it on?
April 2009, lasted until December 2010. #19. It's not like I was eating ice - or anything else for that matter, as any pressure on it would hurt - consequently I've only been chewing with the right side of my face since.