Improper Jealousy? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Improper Jealousy?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
curlyfat
Recipes 

May 2010
Wyoming
Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts

I know it's terrible, but my brother just got laid of, and I'm actually jealous. That's f'ed up, right? To put some perspective on it, he has several options, but has enough capital to survive for a little over a year if necessary, so he's taking a couple months off before actively seeking another job.

I just can't believe I'm jealous of someone who lost their job!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3517 Times on 3328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I know it's terrible, but my brother just got laid of, and I'm actually jealous. That's f'ed up, right? To put some perspective on it, he has several options, but has enough capital to survive for a little over a year if necessary, so he's taking a couple months off before actively seeking another job.

I just can't believe I'm jealous of someone who lost their job!
You're not jealous of someone losing their job. You're jealous of someone getting to take a couple months off work and being financially ok.

I think we are all jealous of that Although with this market, I think I'd start looking after a week or two. I've got friends who have looking almost a year. The jobs just aren't there.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Denver.
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

If I were him I would be looking. I have read a few articles that companies are refusing to hire the unemployed. Apparently you are better off if you have a job but want a new one.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...imination.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...lication_N.htm

Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
curlyfat
Recipes 

May 2010
Wyoming
Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
You're not jealous of someone losing their job. You're jealous of someone getting to take a couple months off work and being financially ok.

I think we are all jealous of that Although with this market, I think I'd start looking after a week or two. I've got friends who have looking almost a year. The jobs just aren't there.
He lives in AK, and apparently in his field (electrical engineering) there's more people hiring than applying right now. I guess his particular company is looking to pull out of the state eventually.

I would be good-to-go for about 6 months...wonder what I could do to piss off my boss? Just kidding. I would never put my family in that position. Oh yeah, he's also single/no kids which makes the situation even less crazy.

In any case, I'm hoping I might get to see him during his "vacation", it's been a few years.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
In any case, I'm hoping I might get to see him during his "vacation", it's been a few years.

and there's your silver lining... enjoy!

my brother is only 3 hours away and I see him about every 2 months - and that's too long for me...