Allergy or bacteria filled keg lines? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Allergy or bacteria filled keg lines?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Joesf35
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Margate, FL
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Ok so we all love the bars with the selection of 150+ beers. I even have gift cards to use from xmas. But, I have run into a problem lately, twice at world of beer trying the different beers on tap and once at a local pub drinking yuengling on tap. I wake up the next morning sick with a cold.
Is this a coincidence? An allergy? Can these lines harvest bacteria?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,899
Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts


I don't think you can get a beer from a beer tap. Especially not the next morning.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Joesf35
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Margate, FL
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71
I don't think you can get a beer from a beer tap. Especially not the next morning.
You mean a cold from a beer tap?

The throat gets nasty and I feel like garbage.
I was hoping someone had a similar experience with contaminated draft lines. (not hoping that someone else is sick).
An allergy would be the end.
But there is never a problem with bottled beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


You are probably on your way to getting sick before you hit the bar, and a night of drinking, crap food, and poor sleep pushes you over that edge to a cold.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Joesf35
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Margate, FL
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
You are probably on your way to getting sick before you hit the bar, and a night of drinking, crap food, and poor sleep pushes you over that edge to a cold.
True. As long as it's just my crappy immune system and not WOB, that place is heaven on earth. It would be a shame.
I heard that the yard house treats their beer lines and keeps them protected from exposure and started thinking that it was necessary to prevent unwanted bacterial growth. Might be to protect from light and temps only.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
rycov
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
conway SC., South Carolina
Posts: 1,941
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


also how many beers did you drink? sometimes i feel like hell when i wake up after a long night of drinking : )
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk00k View Post
I'm getting ingredients in the mail today, and I can't even taste my beer yet. What should I do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Joesf35
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Margate, FL
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov
also how many beers did you drink? sometimes i feel like hell when i wake up after a long night of drinking : )
At WOB, 6,7,enough.
At the pub this last time drinking cheap yuengling, only 2 pints. The misses may cut me off if I am constantly out of commission after drinking and she takes care of the baby by herself...

We know alcohol suppresses the immune systems ability to fight invaders, but can it harbor super bacteria in dirty lines? Bacteria that has built up an immunity to the alcohol? Similar to how my niece's ears harbor super bacteria that are immune to her constant dose of antibiotics.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
menschmaschine
 
menschmaschine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Delaware
Posts: 3,272
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts


Few colds are bacterial and when they are (in people of average health), they're usually a secondary infection after having a viral cold. Incubation periods (the time between exposure to the virus and when symptoms start) with colds vary dependant on a lot of things, but it would be very rare to start getting symptoms 8 hours after exposure to the virus. It usually takes anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days.

Cold viruses can't survive all that long outside the human body. You'll hear up to 48 hours, but that would have to be one big loogie. Most often it's in a tiny droplet of mucous or salive and they might last a few hours before they dry up and "die" (it's scientifically questionable whether a virus is really "alive" in the first place, since it's just some DNA or RNA wrapped in a protein coat). So, the transmission is person to person, not through beer lines.

OK, I'll stop now... bottom line is, you had that cold coming before you even went out those nights.
__________________
END TRANSMISSION

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesf35 View Post
At WOB, 6,7,enough.
At the pub this last time drinking cheap yuengling, only 2 pints. The misses may cut me off if I am constantly out of commission after drinking and she takes care of the baby by herself...
Ahhhh....you have children....yep, I'm all the more certain that you were on your way to getting sick and the drinking sealed the deal!

Children are basically "starters" for human pathogens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesf35 View Post

We know alcohol suppresses the immune systems ability to fight invaders, but can it harbor super bacteria in dirty lines? Bacteria that has built up an immunity to the alcohol? Similar to how my niece's ears harbor super bacteria that are immune to her constant dose of antibiotics.
Not really, for a number of reasons.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Joesf35
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Margate, FL
Posts: 113
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill

Ahhhh....you have children....yep, I'm all the more certain that you were on your way to getting sick and the drinking sealed the deal!

Children are basically "starters" for human pathogens!
.
"starters", great analogy!

Ok so the drinking seals the deal when the body is fighting a cold. One homebrew per day it looks like in the future.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump