Middle Tennessee Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys I am going to skip my son's 12:00 game, bad dad, and I will be at Ranger's house around 10-10:30. I hope to see you guys there. We have a couple of things to discuss as a group.

Hey Guys! 1234 invited me to this discussion (I'm a newb here so I'm still learning my way around). Looks like I missed the big buy this time but I'm definitely looking to get into all grain soon. Unfortunately, I just bought 50lbs of breiss light DME (from gwkent) and a few half pounds of different hops varieties (from northern brewer). As I want to get into all grain more (got my first keggle with bazooka screen) I am willing to sell some of the DME I got at cost or maybe if someone is willing to trade for some Marris Otter or 2 row we can arrange something.

Ok guys I am going to skip my son's 12:00 game, bad dad, and I will be at Ranger's house around 10-10:30. I hope to see you guys there. We have a couple of things to discuss as a group.

I'm babysitting this morning, and waiting for a phone call about whether my inlaws are going to keep him today for me...So I am pretty sure I cant make it by 10:30, but I'll be there at some point, I am hoping 12-1-ish??? That cool, and maybe I can catch up on any discussions I may have missed?

I got my stuff at about 7:30 this morning. Ranger was still out returning the truck. Anyway I called him and followed his instructions to take 1 bag of 2-row for the pale, and 1 bag of 6-row for the pilsner.

I saw some bags of "pilsen malt" by the 6-row, also canadian, so I hope I didn't grab the wrong one.

A few mishap's, but all in all it was a good day. Got to meet some good people (aren't all home brewers good?). I had to laugh after filling up my freezer with grains today, with 275lbs of base grains and 21 different types of specialty grains, I have a lot of work to do. It's going to be a good year for brewing. I also realized , I have no storage containers. Does the madness ever end? Cheers!

The grain coffin.

DSCN3293.jpg

I have to say this was a good day even thought 1234 was short a bag, I got to meet some great members and hope to learn a lot from them.

It was great meeting and talking with all of you guys. When we do this again we now know what to do and not to do. I have spoke with Wild West and he is going to call NCM to let them know that we were one bag short.

Thanks go out to Ranger who hosted us today and who gladly waited at work on an off day for the grain. He also took all the grain off of the pallet. Thanks go out to Wild West for placing the order for us and for helping to make this group buy happen.

Hopefully NCM will figure out something to help me out, and if they don't several members have offered to help me out.

I currently have 5 in on the grain mills and a possibly a 6th. I will contact Barley Crusher this week and I will let you guys know what they say.

If anybody needs a 4 tap kegging system I have one I am looking to sale along with some carboys, fermenting buckets, and a couple of other odds and ends.

I will also update you guys soon on the hops buy.

That is awesome! I'm glad to see everything went well on the massive grain buy. I mentioned that I just got a 50lb bag of Breiss Plain light Dried Malt Extract and if anyone needs some DME I'd like to trade for some Marris Otter or another quality base grain so I can start trying my hand at all grain brews. I just calculated out my cost on the DME and I got it for about 2.70$ a pound. I'd be willing to trade if anyone needs some DME or if anyone wants to get a few # of DME to have on hand I can help out. I just got set up on a foodsaver and I haven't broken it all up yet so let me know and we can work something out.

If I didn't already have 4lb's of malt extract I would be all over this. I always like to have some around for yeast starters.

I just sent an e-mail off to to BC to let them know that we have a request for quote on 7 mills. I will update when I have an e-mail back.

I know that this was a lot of work and that we had a couple of mess-ups, but I have a guy who is wanting to buy. He is good for a minimum of 6 full sacks of grain. He is also game for some splits of specialty grains. I have like 5-6 specialty grains that I wouldn't mind doing a split of. I know what you are thinking, I haven't even brewed with the grain I just got, and my wife is thinking the same thing. I know a couple of guys who didn't get in on this buy and some other local guys who might be interested as well.

I am thinking that this might be the opportunity to buy some other items that we didn't get with the last buy. I would like to get some Belgian candi syrups as well.

Does anybody see anything that they want or have to have that wasn't included in the first order?

Hummm... I see a need for some Vienna. Gage the interest and see how well this develops. I can do a little more. What do you mean haven't brewed with the grain I got yet? I was crushing grain Saturday and brewing Sunday...lol

Anybody want to split some honey malt, Crystal 40l, unmalted wheat (lambic and wits), and wheat? I am going to try to get some Belgian Candi Syrup as well. I may buy some Star San and maybe some other cool stuff.

I know I would down for spliting some 6row and maybe some c-40. I got a buddy that would do some c-40 and c-60 splits.

Jason, that looks sweet, you've been busy over the last 4 day's. Doesn't even look like the same place.

_

1234... I might have someone else interested in a grain mill as well... any word from the supplier?

1234... I might have someone else interested in a grain mill as well... any word from the supplier?

No word from BC, but I would expect it anytime now. I have told them 7 mills and the only way for us to nail down the exact cost is for me to know exactly how many mills we are going to purchase. I have another person who has inquired about this as well.

If their service sucks this bad, I wonder if we will ever get them after we pay... Have you tried any other suppliers to see if they would be willing to cut a deal since we might possibly have 9-10 people interested? I don't mind to call around and see if we can get a hook up somewhere else if you want me to.

They are really busy trying to keep up with demand. I know some of the folks would rather have a Barley Crusher, but I will let some other folks speak up and tell me what they want. I don't mind calling around or e-mailing, I do have some time to do it.

I would like a BC, but in all honesty, it really doesnt matter to me. However, if we go w a different brand I can suspect that the price is going to be different and that might make others not want to get in on this.

I say we give them through the weekend to respond and then we can decide how to proceed...

I know that this was a lot of work and that we had a couple of mess-ups, but I have a guy who is wanting to buy. He is good for a minimum of 6 full sacks of grain. He is also game for some splits of specialty grains. I have like 5-6 specialty grains that I wouldn't mind doing a split of. I know what you are thinking, I haven't even brewed with the grain I just got, and my wife is thinking the same thing. I know a couple of guys who didn't get in on this buy and some other local guys who might be interested as well.

I am thinking that this might be the opportunity to buy some other items that we didn't get with the last buy. I would like to get some Belgian candi syrups as well.

Does anybody see anything that they want or have to have that wasn't included in the first order?

As for another grain buy, I am in (as long as I get a barley crusher...lol)...I was hesitant to over do it on the first buy but now that things are coming together with the brewstand, I am getting excited and want to get a little inventory of grains started.

I'd be in for:
1 sack of Pilsner (CM-SPIL)

And I'd be in on splits of any of these
Fawcett Golden Promise (TF-GPRM) I'd like 1/2 a bag
Canadian Malting Wheat Malt (CM-WHET) 1/3 or 1/4 a bag
Gambrinus Honey Malt (GB-HONY) 1/5 bag
Great Western Crystal 120 (GW-C120) 1/5 bag

Id also like to get 3 1# pouches of the Dark Candi Syrup

This is just for reference and to get all those who might be interested in another buy interested as well...

In accord with the "new" rules being imposed on us, if anyone want's to see the grain price list, pm me and I can e-mail it to you. It shouldn't apply to us since this was started before the new rules.

Just don't want anyone to think we profited in any way form the sale. Unless driving 240 miles to get grain is profiting.:)

_

I think we are OK with the ingredients just nothing else. He is expecting you to pay for the vendor membership to sell anything else. I can appreciate that if your main purpose is making a profit. However, for us we are just trying to defray the cost with a small economy of scale.

Latest posts

Back