Weissbier Wheaties!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysticmead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP300
Yeast Starter
1l
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
12-14
Color
pale straw
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14/68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
strong banana notes with a nose of sourdough bread.
this recipe is very very simple. If you do BIAB no rice hulls are needed. if you use a traditional MLT then add rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge

9lbs German Wheat Malt (2 SRM)
1oz Saaz (aa 4%) for 60 minutes
1 pkg White Labs Hefeweizen yeast WLP300

I did a single decoction mash (my first decoction)
Since I do BIAB, I doughed in with 8 gallons of water at 126F to bring my mash temp to 122F for 30 minutes (Protein rest). I then took a 3.5 gallon decoction from the thickest portion of the mash. I raised the decoction temp to 155F and held there for 30 minutes. I boiled the decoction for 20-30 minutes and added it back to the main mash raising the temp to 155F. After a 30 minute rest at 155F I raised the main mash temp to 168 for 10 minutes to do a mash out. At this point I pulled the bag and let drain into a 5 gallon kettle with a colander to support it while draining. I squeezed the bag to get all liquid possible and added to the boil kettle. My starting volume was 6.5 gallons. Boiled for 60 minutes adding the hops according to the schedule. cooled and pitched the 1L starter I made the day before. Fermentation took off and was complete with in 4 days. I let it sit in primary for 2 weeks then bottled using 5.4 oz of corn sugar.

here's the results.
181923_138001586267253_125874294146649_238537_2547513_n.jpg

hello ... did that wlp300 have any sulfer smell to it during fermentation? ... I'm using it right now on a wheat and it really smells bad 2 days in .. i am fermenting at 70 ambiant tho so maybe thats why? ... have you used that yeast a lot? .. thoughts on it? .. great looking recipe up there ... i might try it on my next wheat..

yep... thought the dog was gonna get the boot when fermenting that one.. SWMBO thought he was farting and I wasn't telling her any different. the smell goes away pretty fast. the yeast is a great choice for wheat beers. nice banana and clove

Back