Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #231
DregAddict
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess the deal with Adu is that he's been getting playing time and performing well recently with his club in Turkey(second division I think). He is still young, so I don't mind them giving him a shot. I think he ran into so many obstacles after the original hype. We've all seen him do some impressive things at the youth level, and if he can be put in the proper position on the field with a good understanding of his responsibilities, then I think he can potentially be a contributor. Not a star, but a creative, change of pace, type of player that can draw fouls and put pressure on defenses.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #232
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DregAddict View Post
I hadn't heard about Chandler asking to stay home, but I still don't like Bornstein in there. Really the only reason guys like him and Heath Pearce get any play is because we have such a gaping hole in the left back spot. I don't think Bornstein played terrible in the WC, but he adds so little to the team, and is almost always a risk to play an I'll advised square ball in our own half. In the last set of friendlies he looked horrible. As soon as any opponent discovers that they can pressure our backs and we'll just hand them the ball, then our whole team starts to panic.

As far as the keepers go, the point I was making is that neither Hahnemann nor Rimando will ever play an important role on the MNT. Howard will start every important game for us until he gets beat out by someone, retires, or gets hurt. That includes the Gold Cup. The other keepers might get a game or two in the first round against poor competition, but in the knockout rounds Howard will be playing. So if in all reality the #2 and #3 keeper get at most one game each against weak opponents, then why didn't we bring someone that shows some promise, and can contribute after Howard is no longer with the team? Howard is 31, Hahnemann 38, and Rimando 31. Those other two will never play an important role on our team because their career paths are either ahead of or right in line with Tim Howard's.
There's some debate as to whether it was really Chandler asking to stay home or Nuremberg asking for Chandler to stay home so he can be ready for next season. Ives discusses it a bit here: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...ons-.html#more

As for Guzan, I believe he's getting married this summer, and that was going to conflict with some of the Gold Cup.

As for bornstein, I don't like him either, but not including him doesn't do much unless there's someone better to take his spot, and I'm not sure if I've seen that. Lichaj has talked about possibly playing LB for the nats, tho, and that idea intrigues me, as I would like to see both him and chandler on the field at the same time in the future, and this is a way to accomplish that, as well as filling a major hole in the lineup (if he's actually any good at LB).

Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #233
BeerEagle
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I see that there's another giant dust cloud covering the Atlantic.

Arsenal just opened the door of their trophy cabinet.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #234
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerEagle View Post
I see that there's another giant dust cloud covering the Atlantic.

Arsenal just opened the door of their trophy cabinet.
CONGRATULATIONS! You just won 10,000 internets for that post!

And what about Brek Shae instead of Bornstein? Dude is young, agile, talented and really looking natural since he was moved to a fullback position. But I guess Bradley went for experience... pretty sure Shae only has one cap and that was in the friendly against Chile.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #235
DregAddict
Recipes 

I like Shea, but I haven't see much of him in the back. I've mostly seen him playing on the wing. He has good size and seems to prefer to play wide on the left side, so I could see him transitioning to leftback. The problem I have with our left back situation is that we are continually trying to plug someone in there. The way I look at it, if we don't have a player that fits the mold, then change the mold. Our central midfield seems to frequently get out classed by other good midfields. To remedy this we usually play with 3 center mids. But we do so by going down to one forward. Why not play a 3-5-2. Keep 2 strikers in the game, have the 3 backs worry about the other teams strikers, and let the wing players worry about the flanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 AM   #236
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DregAddict View Post
I like Shea, but I haven't see much of him in the back. I've mostly seen him playing on the wing. He has good size and seems to prefer to play wide on the left side, so I could see him transitioning to leftback. The problem I have with our left back situation is that we are continually trying to plug someone in there. The way I look at it, if we don't have a player that fits the mold, then change the mold. Our central midfield seems to frequently get out classed by other good midfields. To remedy this we usually play with 3 center mids. But we do so by going down to one forward. Why not play a 3-5-2. Keep 2 strikers in the game, have the 3 backs worry about the other teams strikers, and let the wing players worry about the flanks.
Interesting idea. My one concern (and I will state for the record that I am no expert in soccer strategy) is based off of the general lack of good distribution from our back line. Our back line tends to just clear the line and boot it halfway up the field. If we have the wings coming back to defend the flanks, my concern is that that's just two fewer guys to be there to try to win the ball and the clearance. I can just picture gooch booting it up the field, one of the forwards winning the ball but having nothing to do with it because our center mids are defensive minded and now our wings are back farther cuz they were defending the flanks.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #237
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Interesting idea. My one concern (and I will state for the record that I am no expert in soccer strategy) is based off of the general lack of good distribution from our back line. Our back line tends to just clear the line and boot it halfway up the field. If we have the wings coming back to defend the flanks, my concern is that that's just two fewer guys to be there to try to win the ball and the clearance. I can just picture gooch booting it up the field, one of the forwards winning the ball but having nothing to do with it because our center mids are defensive minded and now our wings are back farther cuz they were defending the flanks.
You know I read through the beginning and thought, "... except Gooch" and then you mention Mr. Onyewu and I'm all "Whaaaaaaa?!" I feel like he feeds decently and works especially well with Landy Cakes.

Now if Tim Ream can make it into the Starting XI we might have a chance at some possession-style play on the ground (a la RSL.... and sometimes LA if they feel like it )

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #238
DregAddict
Recipes 

discnjh:
You're right about our backs propensity to belt the ball up-field. That's exactly why I would prefer giving up one defender to get a extra mid instead of giving up a forward to do the same thing. When the ball is cleared it usually bypasses the midfield altogether, so having 2 forwards increases the chance of retaining possession, or at least being in a position to pressure the other team when they get the ball. Also, when in a 3-5-2 formation you are almost always assured of having a 'safety valve' in wide positions. Because the 3 central midfielders occupy the middle of the pitch, the two outside midfielders tend to stay very wide. This is an important area that defenders tend to look towards when they are facing pressure. The concern about the workload for the outside mids limiting there offensive contribution is a valid one. It can be remedied by two things. First you absolutely need to have exteremely fit players in those positions. Second, defensively you can pinch in on the weak side of the field(the side that the ball is not currently on). Bu doing this, the outside mid on the weak side can take over a central midfiedlers defensive responsibility, allowing one of the center mids to push across the field and provide help and cover for the players defending the ball. By doing this one of the defendeds can pick up the opposing team's outside mid, and still have cover, thus making it not necessary for our outside mid to always track his man all the way down the field. Also, you're completely correct about gooch. He is a big, athletic player. Those are his attributes. He has never been a pillar of composure in the back line.

Reno:
Sorry man, but I just don't see it from Ream. He's a good player, and he tries to play composed but his poor decision making frequently gets him in trouble. In the friendly vs Chile he played a tight ball towards our midfield when he had an easy pass to the outside back. The pass was picked off and the Chilean player ripped one off the right upright. I also saw a 'not top ten play' where Ream(while playing for NY played a blind square ball to his other center back. The guy was marked and the forward picked off the pass, went on a breakaway, and scored easily. Ream should have been given an assist. I would honestly give Omar Gonzalez a chance before Ream.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #239
DregAddict
Recipes 

Speaking of center backs, where has Chad Marshall been. In the few call-ups he's had I think he has done really well. If i remember correctly he suffered a concussion in one of the national team games and hasnt been given another chance. He's 26, and has very good size. I'd like to see more from him.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #240
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OH haha just noticed you were from Vegas. I was born and raised there

And I'll give you that play from Ream... it was pretty god awful (also, IIFC, the Chile match was his first cap.) And I can't say I've seen a similar biff from Gonzilla but he's made mistakes too; every fullback does.

But from what we have available from the call-ups I'd take Ream over Bornstein (my inner Hebrew is disappoint.) But I will completely agree that Gonzo should have had the call-up. The Galaxy fan in me is stoked that he'll still be there during the long stretch without Landy Cakes or Donovan Ricketts (off to the Reggae Boyz.) But the Yanks fan in me really wishes Bradley made slightly different call-ups.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!