Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 AM   #11
StandEight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Love soccer also. I'll admit however, that I don't follow the MLS. Real Madrid is my team and I try to catch almost every game. I'll watch some EPL games and always have the champions league on DVR.

"If you look good ... you feel good"

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Gotta say it is very refreshing to see this many soccer fans respond so fast

Oh and I've yet to declare my clubs! LA Galaxy first and foremost (BLUE WHITE AND GOLD!!) and across the pond I follow Tottenham.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm a die hard Arsenal fan, and really only keep up with English Premier League and Champion's League. I only follow the latter since Arsenal is currently in it, particularly after our amazing defeat over Barcelona the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

For any interested Arsenal play Stoke City today at 11:45am PST. Stoke City has been hanging around the middle of the table looking to breakout while the Gunners are looking to cement their position in the top four... should be a good one.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
For any interested Arsenal play Stoke City today at 11:45am PST. Stoke City has been hanging around the middle of the table looking to breakout while the Gunners are looking to cement their position in the top four... should be a good one.
Indeed. Since I cancelled cable, I subscribed to FoxSoccer.tv, which allows you to stream the games online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love watching soccer. MLS, Prem, La Liga, and Bundesliga. I like them all. Unfortunately, I don't get to watch the Champions Leugue because it is not carried by espn3. Boooo...

I don't yet have a team I really support. I just like to watch good games and pick who to root for each game.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
BlackJackBrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
I'm a die hard Arsenal fan, and really only keep up with English Premier League and Champion's League.
Die hard Gunners fan here as well. Thankfully we have the Fox Soccer Channel here in OKC and I get to watch about half of the games, although many are tape delayed.

I've tried getting into MLS, I figured FC Dallas is the closest and maybe I should get into them. Watched a few matches, played with them on FIFA 10, I don't know, just can't get into it. I think maybe it has to do with the missing tradition. I mean I consider myself a die hard Cubs fan, but if the team just started 10 years ago, I don't think I'd really care all that much...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #18
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackBrews View Post
I've tried getting into MLS, I figured FC Dallas is the closest and maybe I should get into them. Watched a few matches, played with them on FIFA 10, I don't know, just can't get into it. I think maybe it has to do with the missing tradition. I mean I consider myself a die hard Cubs fan, but if the team just started 10 years ago, I don't think I'd really care all that much...
Um they've been around for 16 years, thaaaaank YOU

Also there are clubs that were "promoted" from old NASL and USL leagues, namely Seattle Sounders FC (founded in 1974) and the two expansion clubs this season, Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers (1974 and 1975, respectively.) All three of these clubs came, or are coming, into the league with an already huge fanbase with excellent atmospheres.

I know I tend to ramble but I just love the sport. And this is an especially exciting season for the MLS: expansion clubs, new and exciting soccer-specific stadiums, longer schedule, improved play, new sponsors/kits, best attendance since the first couple seasons.... I've been itching for First Kick since November, especially since the first match of the season is LA vs Seattle... I can't wait!!!

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
BlackJackBrews
Recipes 

I really want to get into it. I do. I just don't know what it's going to take. Been seriously considering a trip to Dallas to watch a game live. Maybe that would win me over?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJackBrews View Post
I really want to get into it. I do. I just don't know what it's going to take. Been seriously considering a trip to Dallas to watch a game live. Maybe that would win me over?
Live matches are absolutely amazing. I went to the LA vs NY match in LA last season... it was, without a doubt, the most exhilarating sporting event of my life. SWMBO and I sat in the Angel City Brigade supporters section and the only requirement for being in the section is standing and singing/chanting the whole 90 minutes. I wasn't even close to drunk (really hard to get drunk when you're 5200ft lower in elevation than usual) and it was thrilling... I was drunk on soccer and fandom.

For those of you interested, the Disney World Pro Soccer Classic tournament kicks-off today at 3pm PST. It will feature MLS clubs Toronto FC, Houston Dynamo, FC Dallas and brand-new USL (third-tier) club Orlando City. This will be an opportunity to see the second year of a tournament that Disney is really trying to make huge.... and also a chance for those starved for domestic soccer (like me) to watch some matches.

The matches will be streaming on ESPN3.com, ESPN 360 on the XBOX, and MLSsoccer.com. It's a short, two-stage tournament with matches today at 3pm and 5pm and Saturday the 26th at 3pm and 5pm (PST.)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!