The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread - Page 170 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #1691
Grannyknot
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,241
Liked 239 Times on 161 Posts


FlyDoctor, I do agree 100% on the Brek Shea rumors.
If he does go to Stoke, seems like he will struggle for playing time....doesn't he normally play left wing??
Matthew Etherington, Stoke's left mid/wing, will be hard to displace for a starting role.

Then again, this one could just be a rumor, as the official release just said he was invited to train with them (& his buddy Geoff Cameron).
__________________
On Tap: Dry Hopped Sour Ale
Bottled: Dupont Clone, Brett Saison
Secondary:
Primary:
On Deck: Kolsch, Summer Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #1692
hoppyhoppyhippo
 
hoppyhoppyhippo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,707
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts


I don't want Shea going to Stoke because I hate their style of Football. I should probably like them more because they have more Americans than any Premier league squad, I would much rather him go to Everton or Fulham since they play football in a more respectable manner.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #1693
Reno_eNVy
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Jeez, is Stoke becoming Americans' home away from home? Pretty soon they'll be to EPL what Chivas USA is to MLS
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #1694
Grannyknot
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,241
Liked 239 Times on 161 Posts


Geoff Cameron is the only US player currently on the squad...as far as I know.
Maurice Edu moved to Turkey or some place like that, due to lack of playing time.

I hate Stoke with a passion ever since their fans booed Aaron Ramsey when he came on the field after recovering from the leg break.
Most absurd thing I have ever witnessed by sporting fans.
__________________
On Tap: Dry Hopped Sour Ale
Bottled: Dupont Clone, Brett Saison
Secondary:
Primary:
On Deck: Kolsch, Summer Saison

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1695
Reno_eNVy
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Hmm... yeah that's pretty messed up. When Steve Zakuani came back this season the entire league celebrated his recovery from a pretty gnarly leg break.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Grannyknot Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #1696
hoppyhoppyhippo
 
hoppyhoppyhippo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,707
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Geoff Cameron is the only US player currently on the squad...as far as I know.
Maurice Edu moved to Turkey or some place like that, due to lack of playing time.

I hate Stoke with a passion ever since their fans booed Aaron Ramsey when he came on the field after recovering from the leg break.
Most absurd thing I have ever witnessed by sporting fans.
Edu is on loan, he's not sold.

Actually Aston Villa has 2 as well, Guzan is really solid (well certainly compared to Given) and Lichaj gets some playing time but isn't a starter. I wish Lichaj would get more time under Klinsmann I'm really impressed with his ability to attack, I think he could be a long term replacement for Cherundolo, or at least provide some depth. Also will be fun to see Bradley move to the premier league, that seems to be where he's destined to go based on his style. He's doing great in Roma, but his style of play fits the BPL or Bundesliga much more. They're much more industrial leagues while Serie A is more of pass and show league. Also hope that Jozy leaves AZ, not that he's doing poorly or I dislike the opportunity he's getting but I hate what they've done to his national team chances.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #1697
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,765
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post

Edu is on loan, he's not sold.

Actually Aston Villa has 2 as well, Guzan is really solid (well certainly compared to Given) and Lichaj gets some playing time but isn't a starter. I wish Lichaj would get more time under Klinsmann I'm really impressed with his ability to attack, I think he could be a long term replacement for Cherundolo, or at least provide some depth. Also will be fun to see Bradley move to the premier league, that seems to be where he's destined to go based on his style. He's doing great in Roma, but his style of play fits the BPL or Bundesliga much more. They're much more industrial leagues while Serie A is more of pass and show league. Also hope that Jozy leaves AZ, not that he's doing poorly or I dislike the opportunity he's getting but I hate what they've done to his national team chances.
Read an interesting article on espn today about how the Michael Bradley style of industrial midfielder has become more prominent in serie a.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #1698
hoppyhoppyhippo
 
hoppyhoppyhippo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,707
Liked 409 Times on 334 Posts


Read that same article, what I got from it was basically saying that Real Madrid and Barca Adopting a more Italian Style of play has hurt a lot and some English squads as well (like Man City)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #1699
aygov
 
aygov's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 880
Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts


Eden Hazard gets sent off for kicking a ball boy... stay classy Chelsea!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F7BucRKw5qo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #1700
mrgstiffler
 
mrgstiffler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Newberg, OR, Cascadia
Posts: 1,046
Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
Eden Hazard gets sent off for kicking a ball boy... stay classy Chelsea!
meh, the little **** was deliberately going slow and then laid on top of the ball to keep it out of play.

EDIT: Apparently this was a tweet of his before the game: "The king of all ball boys is back making his final appearance #needed #for #timewasting" https://twitter.com/CHARLIEM0RGAN/st...35719700602881
__________________
Simple BIAB Calculator

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If nothing else, be a USA soccer fan today... Matt Up North General Chit Chat 20 06-29-2009 04:14 AM
Soccer video on you tube hcarter General Chit Chat 7 04-20-2009 12:19 PM
Soccer/Football Fans... stevenryals General Chit Chat 6 03-10-2009 07:04 PM
Soccer ? Chris_Dog General Chit Chat 7 06-26-2008 12:49 PM
Soccer Fans Unite Cool Hand General Chit Chat 16 01-21-2007 06:18 PM


Forum Jump