Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #1381
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

haha!!! EXPERTS!!! I don't know what the American "Experts" are like, but I'm guessing they are probably the same as in the UK.....Yes, they are ex pros and managers, but when it comes to predicting a game, they should look back on their own careers more often, and try to remember just how much factors like team spirit and individual flashes of brilliance or crappidity can completely turn a match on it's head.
A lot of the people on the website are analysts and editors first. Most ex pros are commentators in MLS. Or become mediocre ESPN analysts (talking to you, Lalas )

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #1382
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
A lot of the people on the website are analysts and editors first. Most ex pros are commentators in MLS. Or become mediocre ESPN analysts (talking to you, Lalas )
Sounds like a problem that could be improved upon then. Although, in all honesty, the pundits are always gonna say stupid crap no matter what their background.

I prefer to listen to the fans, and filter out the 99.9% that are talking crap. There will always be one that makes perfect sense and knock the socks off the experts.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #1383
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Or become mediocre ESPN analysts (talking to you, Lalas )
If mediocre is code for "utterly and woefully inept" then I agree...
jwitt Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #1384
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 154

That was the first time in a long while that Portland played Seattle like a team with the record they have. In the past Portland played so strong that had they put half as much effort into other league games as they did Seattle, they'd be in the playoff hunt. Yesterday saw them play like they play against other teams, not so much like they play Seattle. Might have been Seattle smacked them back pretty early when Portland got a little rough. I don't think Tiffert was there last time and he certainly took exception in getting slammed into the ad boards. He purposely took a yellow on his foul a little bit later.

And while both teams yelled at the ref. It wasn't Salazar who has centered so many of the uglier games between the two teams.

Portland kinda shut down on this one. They are due for a housecleaning for next season.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #1385
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
There will always be one that makes perfect sense and knock the socks off the experts.
This is true. But that applies to other departments too.

For example.... let's talk about Arlo White. In my mind he is, without a doubt, the best individual working within MLS. Consummate professional, perfect voice for play-by-play, gets pumped when great soccer is being played (soooo much better than some of the deadpans you hear on local broadcasts), never takes sides, and at times really impresses me with his clever use of the English language. He's almost like the David Attenborough of soccer commentators.

I guess that's why he got the bump to NBC and NBCSN.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #1386
Punity
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Arlo was class all the way. I'm sad we had to share him all the way. Although he does do a sounders centered radio segment here at home so I guess it makes up for tin

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #1387
soundsandsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After the debacle in Seattle, I’m looking forward to Whitecaps v. Timbers in a couple of weeks. I’ve got tickets in the Supporters Section, which is the only way to watch, really. (Other than the fact that if you watch at home you have more options than Budweiser or Budweiser). Kind of a bummer that we have to wait for the FIFA break to play out the end of the season. It’s a nail biter.
Thank you Chivas for being thoroughly awful against us last Wed and then remembering how to play football by Sunday against Dallas. You made our playoff run that much easier. If you can actually beat Dallas in your next match against them, every single member of the squad, reserves and technical staff gets added to my christmas card list.
6 Gallon Carboy #1 -
6 Gallon Carboy #2 -
Bottled - Show Mead, Acai Apfelwein, Warm Winds Blond, Vertical Line Pale Ale.

Up next: 2 or 3 different Saisons

Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #1388
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 154

You should have heard Arlo when he was in Seattle. He put the "home" in "homer". He was great. I used to love his comments about "criminal" fouls on the other side. He is good enough to stick a zinger in here or there to let you know "wink wink nudge nudge" that he works for the home side. And it was great in a match he called last week, mentioning Ozzie Olonso about 4 times of the Seattle Sounders, while two different teams were playing. Even the way he said it, still kinda let us know, he's still a homer for Seattle.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #1389
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Newbie here at HBT.
Long time Arsenal fan.
Just found the "horribly unpopular" soccer thread.
Nothing better than soccer and beer.
On Deck: October Alt

Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #1390
jwitt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I mentioned not having a MLS side in StL the other day, and this morning I see this: http://nextstl.com/downtown/major-league-soccer-stadium-may-be-part-of-new-union-station-vision

Of course these proposals come and go, and this one hasn't even gotten off the ground, but it sounds like the best investment group we've seen here. And the Rams owner also owns Arsenal...there's a rumor that he may be involved in the Union Station operation, and that could bode well for a stadium in the years to come.