Arguing with SWMBO...my turn - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Arguing with SWMBO...my turn

Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #21
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7047 Times on 4175 Posts

Just ignore everything that bothers you. That's what I do. Don't get angry, don't get bitter. Be happy.

Desiderata! ...
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
Strive to be happy. Cheers!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #22
curlyfat
Recipes 

May 2010
Wyoming
Liked 37 Times on 36 Posts

I can sort of feel your pain. My wife's mother died about 7 years ago (10 days after our first child was born). Her father and her became very close after that, and I think our son was a kind of therapy to him.

The problem is that we're about 110 miles away. He has a habit of calling and saying, "I'm coming into to town to visit, be there in about an hour." This has always drove me nuts. He can't plan a 110 mile trip even a day ahead of time?! I used to feel obligated to be present, but over the years it's become understood that if I'm there, I'm there. If I'm busy, I'm busy. If I'm sleeping, I'm sleeping (I often work nights). If they go out to eat, I usually stay home, because I value my days off. It took a few years of polite conversation for this to be OK with her and her father, but it all works out.

Now if I could get him to plan his trips with my wife and kids across three states more than a couple days in advance....

Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 AM   #23
cfonnes
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Utah
Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

When I say that family comes first my opinion is biased because my wives family is not overbearing.

I have a friend whose mother in law caused his divorce because she was so obtrusive in her daughters life.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 AM   #24
Henrythe9th
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Redmond OR, Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This is why I like living 2000mi from my family ,and 2500mi from hers
they couldn't even find my house

Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #25
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

We rarely have family just drop in...both our families (who live 5 minutes away in different directions) respect that while we're so close, we don't just have a "come on in" sign on the front door. They're welcome any time, but it's our house and we have our own privacy.

I'd say get things right with your marriage and your relationship. When she married you, she left mommy and daddy and that should mean something, as in your relationship is first and foremost.

I guess I'm very fortunate that my wife and I both really enjoy our relationships with our in-laws and we have no problems taking turns for the holidays and working things out to see everyone, even with having an 11 month old. It's nice to have understanding family (and spouse).

Old 02-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #26
malkore

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Nebraska
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

well, she didn't even want to talk about it. and her sister in law unfriended me on facebook because she stuck her nose in our business again so I blocked her from posting on my wall.

fine by me cuz she's a real piece of work...the only one in the family that really does get under my skin (and wife's, and my mother-in-law's...you get the idea)...but she's mad about that too.

I think that's the biggest problem, she's just not a big communicator, and ends up stewing over things even though she won't admit to it.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
well, she didn't even want to talk about it. and her sister in law unfriended me on facebook because she stuck her nose in our business again so I blocked her from posting on my wall.

fine by me cuz she's a real piece of work...the only one in the family that really does get under my skin (and wife's, and my mother-in-law's...you get the idea)...but she's mad about that too.

I think that's the biggest problem, she's just not a big communicator, and ends up stewing over things even though she won't admit to it.
Sounds like maybe you have bigger issues with your wife (and her family) than just an unannounced drop in visit. Speaking of communication, it sounds like you've tried, but talking to her about it will probably get you farther than talking to us about it.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #28
Hugh_Jass

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post

Your wife should not be discussing marital business with her family. She will never get objective advise from them, they're family. It only serves to foster a negative opinion of you by her relatives.

That said, Mrs. Jass' parents used to stop over unannounced. It really used to bother me. Fast forward a decade +, here's how we finally reached an understanding...I explained I married her, not her family. I like them, enjoy their company, but there are those times I just want to share her company, not her family's. We don't get that much alone time, and when we do, I want to enjoy it. Call it jealousy or whatever.

for us, it was really a communication issue. How I presented my POV made her understand it's not about disliking her family as much as it's about me enjoying her company.

Good luck

Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #29
jmendez29

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 156 Times on 99 Posts

IMHO - You did nothing wrong. But on the other hand, neither did she. It's great that you have family that is that close and that they live so close - of course, that's when things are going well. I think the best you could do from here forward, is to use it as an opportunity to make expectations clear. It's not likely that you will be able to stop a whole family from changing their ways based on your desires. But if the situation were to arise again, then invite the MIL in, excuse your rudeness for eating in front of her and maybe offer her a plate of food if you have any left, listen to the conversation for a few minutes after dinner to be sociable and politely dismiss yourself from the table to watch TV. If they have a problem with that, then they would most definitely be in the wrong. But most importantly is to not have an attitude about it. Ultimately, I see it as just a disconnect between your expectations and hers.

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3519 Times on 3330 Posts

Going just off this one occurrence, I don't see the big deal. It's her Mother. If it was just us and we were sitting down to dinner and my parents came over, I wouldn't expect my wife to expect me to tell them to leave, nor would I expect them to leave.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.