Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging with Soda Corny Kegs...
Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Kegging with Soda Corny Kegs...

My first IPA extract brew is working it's magic in the fermenting bucket as I type (three days). I have spent the last couple of nights cleaning and sanitizing bottles. What a job! So I made a call to my friend that works for Soda Distributor to see if he could get me a couple of soda kegs. He got it done!

I own a CO2 tank and have a fridge in my garage. My thought was that maybe I will keg this beer instead of bottle (pick-up a picnic tap). What do I need to do to get this done? What is the best way to clean the kegs? Maintenance? Can I pick-up Ball locking fittings locally? Any suggestions or insight would be a ton of help! Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

There's plenty of threads on cleaning, but basically you take them apart, wash everything, replace the o-rings and put them back together.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
Old 02-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You'll need a regulator, and you probably should install new o rings and gaskets so that you won't have any off flavors from the soft drinks that were stored in them. Clean it like any stainless steel and sanitize it. Also a picnic tap which you menitioned. also food grade lubricant. Your local homebrew store should have everything
Do what you like!
Brew what you like!

Old 02-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Bar Keeper's Friend is your, er, friend if there's any rust or other nasties on the steel. It's oxalic acid based so after scrubbing off the rust and other crud with that and a scotchbrite pad the steel will self-passivate in a week or so.

Stuff dries out you skin something fierce, though, so you might better use gloves. I found this out after scrubbing down five NASTY kegs over a 6 hour period. Back of my hands felt like lizard scales for a week.
Flying Dutchman Unlimited Ale Works
Buy my crap!

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion