Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dry malt vs priming sugar?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
liebertron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default dry malt vs priming sugar?

I have a fat tire clone that is ready for bottling very soon and it calls for dry malt rather than priming sugar. I have a second batch ready to be bottled in about 2 weeks that calls for priming sugar. I have TONS of extra dry malt and no priming sugar.

Are there any consequences to using dry malt instead of priming sugar? This being said, I do not care if the clone tastes EXACTLY like what it is trying to emulate but I instead I am perfectly happy with good tasting beer.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
chaserchap
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You're good using DME. But you'll have to use more. I forget how much more, but look around on here and you'll find it.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Sacreddog717
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It'll work either way. I had to use table sugar for priming on one of my last batches and it came out great. Here is a good calculator for figuing out quantities of sugar. http://tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserchap View Post
You're good using DME. But you'll have to use more. I forget how much more, but look around on here and you'll find it.
And it's said it will take a little longer for it to carb up. Only other negative is said to be a possible crud ring around the top of the bottle. You'll be fine with DME though.

Rev.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
liebertron
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
And it's said it will take a little longer for it to carb up. Only other negative is said to be a possible crud ring around the top of the bottle. You'll be fine with DME though.

Rev.
I actually like sugars that take longer. I tend to be very patient with my beer and do not mind letting it sit another week or so to get a much better taste.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebertron View Post
I actually like sugars that take longer. I tend to be very patient with my beer and do not mind letting it sit another week or so to get a much better taste.

Thanks!
I wouldn't count on the DME to give it a better taste. It's probably not much different; the only blind study I remember reading had corn sugar and cane sugar as indistinguishable, with a couple of people preferring those over DME but most people unable to tell the difference there either.

Unfortunately I can't find the link, but I came away thinking that DME would be my last choice quality-wise, though it likely doesn't make much difference.

Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)