Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Vent needed for fermentation chamber?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
greatschmaltez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Vent needed for fermentation chamber?

I am looking at converting a standup freezer to a fermentation chamber, I was concerned about pressure building in the freezer as the fermentation took off. Obviously there will be a small crack in the door seal for the temperature controller wire. Is there any other modification I need to do to vent fermentation CO2 or is there simply not enough produced during fermentation to even be a concern?

Right now my materials of construction are:
1) Freezer
2) temperature controller

I'm assuming it's easy as that to get anywhere from mid 60s down to the lagering temps... Correct?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If the pressure built up to large levels it would probably just push the door open. Can't imagine it happening though.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Gldnst8warrior
Recipes 

I use an old refrigerator as my fermentation chamber and have no vents on it. I have had 3 carboys fermenting in it at the same time with no pressure issues. I think you should be fine.