Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Which Pliny?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Which Pliny?

Hey guys and gals, I've heard so dang much about Pliny the Elder but am located in TX and just can't get a hold of a bottle or 12, so I'd like to brew up a batch so I can finally see what all the hubbub is about. The dilemma I see is which recipe should I brew?

I know Vinnie collaborated with Brew Your Own and came up with a 5gal version and thats what i would like to brew. I found one recipe that claims to be the BYO one here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/impe...tml#post129699

Another that looks like it could be official recipe is this one: http://farmhousebrewingsupply.fmtemp...ne%20PDF-1.pdf

Both have similar grainbills (slightly different %s), but the hops are pretty different in the two, and for this beer, I really want them to be right.

So, what do you think? Which is Vinnie's homebrew Pliny?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, NB Tonguesplitter v2.0, Ginger Beer, BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01) Primary: none Souring: None On Deck: Zombie Dust clone On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2015/03/26
Untappd: barrooze

Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 138

They both are, the first one was the recipe he handed out a few years ago, the other is more recent. I brewed the old one and really liked the results, I've heard similarly positive reviews on the new one as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've brewed the new one and it is awesome. I used Maris Otter which was quite nice!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
barrooze
Recipes 

Awesome! Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'm good with either recipe. Lupulin threshold shift, here I come!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, NB Tonguesplitter v2.0, Ginger Beer, BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01) Primary: none Souring: None On Deck: Zombie Dust clone On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2015/03/26

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
GarrettMD
Recipes 

Just kegged a batch of the newer recipe using the Pliny Pack sold at farmhouse brewing supply. I subbed crystal-10 for the crystal-45 to better replicate the color, but kept the percentage the same, and I used american 2-row for my batch.

Came out very close to the actual thing. Aroma is the only thing lacking in my opinion, but even then it's not off by much.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Bandit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed the new one, with the Pliny Hop Pack from farmhouse brewing supply. Turned out great, best beer I have brewed. I think the key is to have a low finishing gravity to make the Hops really pop. I mashed at 148deg for 90 min, boil for 90 min, aerated with O2 and pitched a 2L starter from a stir plate. My FG was 1.005. Keg didn't last near long enough. I just ordered another Pliny Hop Pack for my next brew.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
barrooze
Recipes 

I've been eyeing the Pliny Pack at Farmhouse, but the website says it's out of stock. When it's back in stock, I'll have to grab up a pack or two.

@Garrett what about the aroma needs changing? For someone who hasn't had a Pliny the Elder before, does it matter much? Just curious. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
GarrettMD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
@Garrett what about the aroma needs changing? For someone who hasn't had a Pliny the Elder before, does it matter much? Just curious. Thanks!
It's just a little weak IMHO, and this was my first dry-hopped beer so I'm not sure how to alter that between upping the weight of hops or shortening/lengthening the dry hop period. The actual aromas are very similar to the ones in pliny, just not as pronounced. When I pour the beer, I'm not overcome with a wave of citrus and pine hops like the real thing. Even still, it's one of the best aromas you will encounter in a IIPA, so it doesn't really matter much.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm wondering the same thing. I have the original recipe which has CTZ(Columbus) hops, no Chinook and Warrior.

I can buy a pound of Columbus for $10, or spend $20 to get just enough of the Chinook, Simcoe, etc.

I guess my question is, which of these is better?

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
barrooze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
I guess my question is, which of these is better?
"better" is all in the eye of the beholder. What I was wondering is why Vinnie changed his recipe. Hops availability? Overall "improvement" of the recipe? Etc.

Eiher way, I just got the hops for the new recipe so I'll be brewing that one up at some point!