Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Laughing Dog Brewery (Slightly OT)

Old 02-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
BoisePorter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Laughing Dog Brewery (Slightly OT)

The other night my LHBS had the Laughing Dog Brewery in for a beer tasting. They were revealing their new Imperail Coffee Porter called Anubis. They also brought a bunch of their other brews along for us to try. It was nice to try some styles that I hadn't had in the past as it gives me an idea of what NOT to brew (e.g. a cream ale). It was also nice to hear a professional brewer talk about things to do and not to do as a homebrewer.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Why do you say that you shouldn't brew a cream ale? A cream ale can be very good.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
BoisePorter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Why do you say that you shouldn't brew a cream ale? A cream ale can be very good.
Like all things brew related, it's about personal choice and what you like. I didn't care for the style. Thus, I won't brew it. I wasn't implying that other's shouldn't.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Okay, so you tried one of their cream ales and decided you didn't like it. Fair enough, I just wasn't sure where that fit in.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How was the imperial coffee porter? I love porters of all kinds!! Never had laughing dog though, I don't think they sell it in MO
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
dos_perros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man I really wanted to go to that the other night but the wife and I had already made plans, Ive had a few of their brews and they are good from what I have tasted. Was their a pretty good turn out?
Bottled: AHS Belgian White Ale
OnDeck: Something with fruit for the wife....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I love having breakfast for dinner. It's one time I can have beer with my breakfast without feeling like a drunk.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
BoisePorter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@chapa - It was awesome. It looks like Golden Barrel, Inc. in Columbia sells it. So if you wanted to go for a drive, you could probably get some LD brews there.

@dos_perros - It was cool. Good beer, and LOTS of people. Not to mention they did some drawings for a bag of hops, some sixers, and T-Shirts.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

looks like you're not alone in not liking that cream ale. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12985/31561 in my opinion, a homebrewed cream ale can't be beat by a commercial brewery. most poorly named style in my opinion as well.

i had their black IPA and didn't care for it, just seemed weird. that porter does sound tasty though.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
cracked1
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I saw their post for that on FB a little too late and was a little bummed out. I do get to go to Brewer's Haven tastings every once in awhile which is pretty great. Took a couple of my first attempts at an IPA to one of the tastings and got to listen anonymously to what people thought about it. That was fun... I have another LHBS within 4 miles of me and I drive the 20 miles to them instead.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Brewmyster
Recipes 

Default Laughing Dog IPA

I would like to do a Laughing dog IPA had one the other day was very good. Anyone got any ideas let me know!