first dry hop - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first dry hop
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
Dixon
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Overland Park, Kansas, Kansas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I will be doing my first dry hop addition soon. Do I need to do anything to the hops before I put them in? What is the chance of contamination of the worth?
Thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Brewman79
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Austin,Tx

The alcohol will kill germs.You need a muslin grain bag and some marbles.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Amherst, Western New York
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

contamination chance is pretty low. I never did anything with mine when I put them in. I think I have heard of people steaming them to sanitize them.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Kugster

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chandler, AZ
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just throw mine in and rack onto them, no sac either...really never had any problem with the lose hops getting stuck in racking cane.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
up near babb, mt
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

i use a muslin bag weighted with a heavy-enough washer, tied to a piece of dental floss. it has worked great so far, but i like that marble idea. i usually dry-hop in the keg itself, so suspending the hopbag via dental floss has always seemed reasonable to me.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Marbles are a potential problem. I've had them shatter on me and you then have the potential for small shards of glass ripping through the bag. Secondly, most of the newer ones are going to be from China or similar and who knows how much lead or other contaminants are in the glass. I use SS parts from my old kegs. SS nuts/washers/bolts also work.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Dixon
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Overland Park, Kansas, Kansas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I've been swamped with work and family and couldn't spend time looking for ss washers and the marble idea scared me so... I just threw the hop bag in the fermenter. Pretty sure its just floating at the top. How much of a problem is this?

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
Kugster

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chandler, AZ
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
So I've been swamped with work and family and couldn't spend time looking for ss washers and the marble idea scared me so... I just threw the hop bag in the fermenter. Pretty sure its just floating at the top. How much of a problem is this?

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk
shouldn't be any problem. Like I said b4...i don't even use a bag, I just toss the leaf hops into my secondary and rack the beer on top of them, and they just float on top. some eventually sink and float around in the beer. I think i get a good enough "aroma" from this way.

On the marble thing...i can't understand why the marbles would "shatter"? They would have to get thrown pretty hard for this to happen. I've used that trick times before but have issues getting the bag out of my carboy, thats why i don't do it much with the carboy. When I use a keg as a secondary I do use the marbles.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
rycov
Recipes 

Feb 2010
conway SC., South Carolina
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewman79 View Post
The alcohol will kill germs.You need a muslin grain bag and some marbles.
also hops are a perservative in beer (hence the whole ipa thing) so i would think they are pretty resistant to germs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
nickrjsmith
Recipes 

Sep 2010
UK

First time i dry hopped I used a bag.

Second time I didn't, I found a BIG difference.

Now I use a weighted bag for the boil, but gently stir in the dry hop 5 days before kegging. Here in the UK breweries even dry hop into the keg...