Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A beer inspired by Angels Share

Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 11 Posts

Default A beer inspired by Angels Share

So I've been itching to make a beer like The Angels Share, which is among my favorite beers (except the flat 2008, good but not best) and I recently got into a little project creating spirit based "tinctures" of oak spirals for some beers. Having had that going for a few weeks I decided I needed a good beer to add it to, and what better beer than the one that best captures the barrel character of a beer like The Angels Share?
Thought long and hard on the recipe, talked with Old Sock who did a clone attempt once and also found some info on something that IMO has a similar base beer profile, Palo Santo Marron. Did some hashing and rehashing of the recipe and here is what I came up with, I brewed it yesterday.
My efficiency was crap probably because I ranoff too quickly, but it should be sufficient for a first attempt.

Recipe: The Bourgeois
Brewer: saq
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.101 SG
Estimated Color: 32.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 79.12 %
2.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.99 %
1.25 lb Soft White Wheat (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.20 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (90 min) Hops 56.1 IBU
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2.00 items Servomyces (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Dark 1 Belgian Candi Syrup (80.0 SRM) Sugar 2.20 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 22.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 29.00 qt of water at 159.8 F 149.0 F
40 min Step Add 8.00 qt of water at 184.9 F 156.0 F

I ran off 9.2 gallons from the mash instead of 8.2 as described. I took 1 gallon of it and put it in my 5gal pot and started boiling it down, Wee Heavy style. I also realized I had about a half pound of D1 left that I wasn't sure where I was going to use it so I threw it into the boildown pot. In about 30 minutes I got a REALLY thick syrup that I tossed into the boil, right around when the first hop addition went. I put some more wort in it and swirled it around to get the rest of the syrupy goodness and that went in too. I really like this 1gal boildown method for producing yummy flavors in strong scotches and quads.

For my wood project I have three half-pint mason jars with 2/3rds of a French Oak Medium Toast spiral filled up with different spirits. One jar each of brandy, bourbon and rum. I think I'm going to get some American Heavy toast and do brandy, bourbon and rum again so I can have some blending complexity.
Lets see how this goes!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I guess I don't understand the 30 min hops addition. Does that actually contribute some kind of flavor or aroma that you don't get from 90 minute, or maybe a FWH?

Also for what it's worth, have you tried Deliverance? I had some last night and I think I like it better than the bourbon barrel Angle's Share I had a couple weeks ago.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
saq
Recipes 

Yeah, Deliverance is pretty damn tasty. I'm glad I've got 4 bottles of that left. I like the Bourbon Angels Share better than it, SD Brandy or AS Grand Cru.
Back on topic: The 30 minute hop addition is just to get a little more alpha acids in there that aren't completely cooked out by the end of the boil. Keeps it a little fresher in the long run I find.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Well I think the recipe looks good, although I wonder how you came up with the white wheat in there. I don't taste any wheat at all in it, but there's a lot of flavor going on in that beer so it could be I'm just missing it. Or, is that there for some other reason?

EDIT:

Another interesting point to me is the mash temperature. I understand the reasoning, but the "accepted" recipe for Judgement Day as I recall mashes a bit higher, even though I think it supposedly attenuates about the same or maybe even a bit more. In practice I just brewed a 10 gallon batch of that and it's attenuated about 80%, although I did the sugar addition after primary fermentation rather than adding during the boil. Seems interesting, the combination of MO and very low mash temperature.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
saq
Recipes 

Wheat is in there for a little malt complexity without adding too much sweetness, and head retention. I also read that Palo Santo Marron has about 15% wheat so I figure theres some merit there.

Low mash temperature because its a big ass beer and I'm using an American strain. OldSock threw a hydro at a bottle of Angels Share and came up with 1.019 or so thats going to be 81% attenuation or so. If I was using a Belgian strain of yeast and could do higher mash temperature I wouldn't be so worried.
Updated first post, forgot about the boildown I did.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
saq
Recipes 

My wood projects are ready for dosing so I am going to filter this puppy tomorrow (mostly as a means of transferring the beer into clean kegs) and I took a little sample of it and its mighty tasty. I think it fits in with what the base beer is probably like quite well. I might have put too much chocolate malt in, its a little astringent still. Perhaps batch 2 I could even up the color with a little special-B?
I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Very interested to hear how this turns out!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Pugalicious
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Any news on this?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
saq
Recipes 

Yeah its gone a while ago. I used too much dark malt and not enough crystal malt. Other than that not too far off.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
saq
Recipes 

I'd also probably switch the yeast to edinborough yeast, I think it matches this kind of big, boozy, sweet beer better.