Limerick Session Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttsjp

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1764 - Rogue Pacman
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
35 L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 66°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3-5 days @ 50°F (Optional for clearing)
Tasting Notes
Great sessionable stout with a nice dry mocha character and a very clean finish
6 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Flaked Barley
14 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Crystal Marris Otter (substitute medium English crystal if not available)

1 oz Kent Goldings (7.1% AA) @60
.5 oz Willamette (4.5% AA)@60

Wyeast 1764 Rogue Pacman (such a versatile, awesome clean yeast; but possible substitutions Wyeast 1056, 1084, WLP 001, US-05 are acceptable)

Mash at 153° for 60 minutes

Ferment to completion, and let the beer clear. Condition for 7-10 days or force carbonate. The beer will taste great at bottling time, so feel free to start enjoying it right away. Hide some away if you want to be able to see its "aged" character, though...it's so darn drinkable it'll be gone fast! The beauty of this beer really is the simplicity.

Recipe calculated at 70° efficiency; adjust recipe as needed.

Been my most recent batch of this for a while now...and man is it good. The awesome thing about it is that it's a perfect warmer weather stout. It has the drinkable appeal of a mild with the great roastiness and coffee flavors of a great stout. Love it. My ideal St. Patrick's Day stout for sure.

Do you have to prime this if it is going into bottles instead of a keg? I am going to start this one today for my second AG batch. First was a solstice amber and it turned out great.

Yeah, if you are bottling, prime as usual. It's a matter of personal preference as to the level of carbonation, but I usually go with 2/3 c. priming sugar for this batch. Enjoy--this is a great recipe.

This looks good, similar to an Irish Dry Stout I'm about to brew Monday. The version I'm brewing doesn't have the caramel, and doubles the flaked barley.

WeissGuy said:
This looks good, similar to an Irish Dry Stout I'm about to brew Monday. The version I'm brewing doesn't have the caramel, and doubles the flaked barley.

Good stuff! Since posting this recipe I've also done a version without the crystal and with the roasted barley at 1 lb even...it is definitely more of an "authentic" Irish dry stout that way, and I honestly can't decide which one I like better, it just kind of depends on my mood.

One of the things I have loved most in brewing has been developing some really good session-strength beers that are flavorful, yet lower in alcohol. This recipe certainly still goes on my list of favorites/standbys of session beers to brew.

Back