Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Malt vs Dextrose priming
Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Malt vs Dextrose priming

Will using malt extract for priming vs dextrose give any appreciable difference in the flavor of beer? If it does, I would like to know how much DME would be used to replace the 5 oz of dextrose for a 5 gal batch. I tasted my first batch and it was really good. I was hoping that it would be at least as good as bud but it is actually much better and this is only a beginner kit. I can't believe that I never discovered this hobby sooner.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Hercules Rockefeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The general rule of thumb is 3/4 cup powdered Dextrose or 1 1/4 oz DME for priming a 5 gallon batch. DME will take longer to carbonate, and while it is true that DME will taste better than dextrose, it's only 3/4 cup we're talking about so the difference it probably not anything noticeable. I don't worry about it so I just use dextrose since it's cheaper and faster. but some people like to stick to the Rheinheinsgebot, so they use DME.
"let me be the first to welcome our new insectile overlords"

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale