Is 5" of Trub something to be concerned about? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is 5" of Trub something to be concerned about?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
longshota8
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Delaware

I brewed a Double IPA today that called for the used of about 11oz of hops. I have about 9oz in the brew at this point with another 2oz set aside to dry hop with. About 4 hours after brewing I still have a solid 5 inches of residue in the bottom of the carboy. Should I expect to set this settle a great deal? Never use this many hops before. There was so much residue in the wort I couldn't even take an accurate gravity reading. Looking for some advice or reassurance.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Jul 2009
texas
Liked 264 Times on 225 Posts

all that hop oil will inhibit correct readings. did you use leaf hops, whole hops, pellets, or what?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
theredben
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Langley, BC
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I have NEVER used that much hops. Wow. But about the hydrometer reading, if there are hop floaties in the wort it does not alter the reading from what it should be.

EDIT: Lumpher beat me to the punch. The hop oils are part of the wort now, so just roll with it.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Menomonie, WI
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That sounds about right. I did a brew with 6oz and it had a few inches of trub.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
longshota8
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Delaware

I was using the Godfather Double IPA recipe from the book Extreme Brewing. My OG was 1.080, which is way off from the target gravity. Is there anything I can do to alter the starting gravity at this point? I've already pitched the yeast. I'm a little worried since the potential alcohol level is at 10.8% and the recipe stated between 7.5 and 8.5. Any idea what I could have done wrong?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshota8 View Post
I was using the Godfather Double IPA recipe from the book Extreme Brewing. My OG was 1.080, which is way off from the target gravity. Is there anything I can do to alter the starting gravity at this point? I've already pitched the yeast. I'm a little worried since the potential alcohol level is at 10.8% and the recipe stated between 7.5 and 8.5. Any idea what I could have done wrong?
If it finishes around 1.020, you'll be right in line with the 7.5-8.5% range. I would just relax.

By the way, did you use whole hops? I brewed an IIPA with 12oz of Cascade whole leaf hops in the kettle. Thank God I used a hop bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
longshota8
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Delaware

I used pellet. Would putting them in a bag next time make any difference? I am afraid I am going to lose a lot beer to all this sediment.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshota8 View Post
I used pellet. Would putting them in a bag next time make any difference? I am afraid I am going to lose a lot beer to all this sediment.
It would definitely help. Here's something you might want to consider making.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hop-...-cheap-207803/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops