My Converted Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onecolumbyte

Reaction score
So after reading the whole thread on Partial Mash setups AND reading BYO's great into article I just had to jump in and try my hand at it. After all the posts detailing the woe at Home Depot, Lowes etc. I was a little worried. But I came up with an easy solution and wanted to share it. Get the SS braid and keep the facotry spout. When I opened my victory cooler I saw that the spout had some threads showing thru past the nut. I bought a 3/8 FIP to barb adapter, Clamped on my SS braided hose and screwed it to the treads showing, levaing the entire fatory spout and seal intact. Worked GREAT!!! and all done for about $20 including cooler (target had the 2 gallon of $9) I you do this don't tighten the FIP adapter very much. There's not much of those plastic threads showing. Hand tight will be fine cuz if it "leaks" its just some more wort enetering the spout. I admit that it's a little bit of a PITA to stand there and hold the spout open while collecting wort but since this is just a partial mash collecting less than two gallons on each sparge it's not that big a deal. Check the pics.
396799686_d9e6a0b502.jpg
396799685_cc64d3bfce.jpg
396799683_e4e3583bfb.jpg

BTW does has anybody had any luck finding a 3 gallon cooler? Target only had 2 and 5. and I'm already thinking about the 5 gallon!

Yes I went the same route as you and I found the 2 gallon to small for my needs. I went and bought a 3 gallon Igloo the Yellow one at GFS for around $20 if I remember right. Much better and I can fit almost 6 pounds of grains into it.

Latest posts

Back