Black IPA Color problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snpr520

Reaction score
I just started brewing within the last few months. I tried a Black IPA using 8 lbs of pale malt extract and used 1lb each of Black Patent, Chocolate U.S., and Carma pils Special Grain/Steeped for 30min. I brewed a 3 gallon pot and finished with 5 gallons after adding water

The color on the beer calculator was suppose to be dark black though it came out brown. Im not sure what went wrong? Any suggestions?

We steeped the grain and timed it 30 mins from the time it hit the room temp tap water. I have read in some sites that it should be 30 min between 150 and 170 degrees (Is this best?). I am just paranoid about over doing it and getting tannin flavors.

Thanks for any advice.

What temp did you steep at? As long as you stay below 170F you won't have any tannin extraction. It's very hard to believe 1lb of black patent made brown beer, that stuff is mad black.

Thanks for the response guys,

I crushed the grains but was afraid to over crush, Im a new brewer and thought this could lead to problem with flavor. I just used a rolling pin and a zip lock bag.

I didnt steep at a set temp, I just threw them in at room temp and turned the burner on high and then took them out at 30 minutes the temp just reach about 165 by the time it hit 30min. Im guessing I should keep the pot at stable 155/160 and then do a 30 min steep. I think that was my problem.

Is using 3 lbs of special grain a bad thing?

Thanks again.

With a pound each of Black Patent and Chocolate, you made a porter, not an IPA.

With a pound each of Black Patent and Chocolate, you made a porter, not an IPA.

Agreed. I prefer using de-bittered black malt like Carafa III Special.

If I can't find de-bittered black malt, I steep a half pound of roasted barley and a half pound of chocolate in cold water overnight, which will result in fewer tannins being added to your wort.

I used the patent because it was all I can find in the area and refuse to pay shipping, Im a broke Grad Student.

The hops I used where Simcoe and Amarrillo. Its at about an IBU level of 70. ABV is about 6.5 though I havent tasted it, Im bottling next week.

Snpr520 said:
Thanks for the response guys,

I crushed the grains but was afraid to over crush, Im a new brewer and thought this could lead to problem with flavor. I just used a rolling pin and a zip lock bag.

I didnt steep at a set temp, I just threw them in at room temp and turned the burner on high and then took them out at 30 minutes the temp just reach about 165 by the time it hit 30min. Im guessing I should keep the pot at stable 155/160 and then do a 30 min steep. I think that was my problem.

Is using 3 lbs of special grain a bad thing?

Thanks again.

Yes you should have steeped them for 30 minutes at the 155/160 temp. At least that's how I did it when I was doing extract brews. Some times longer or less Depending on the kits directions.

I used the patent because it was all I can find in the area and refuse to pay shipping, Im a broke Grad Student.

If you try the cold steeping method in your next CDA/BIPA with black patent and chocolate (maybe some Crystal 120 as well), the color should be nice and black but without tannins.

Yes you should have steeped them for 30 minutes at the 155/160 temp. At least that's how I did it when I was doing extract brews. Some times longer or less Depending on the kits directions.

I'd agree if this was a stout or porter recipe, but this guy's trying to make a CDA/BIPA. Even when using de-bittered black malt, I wouldn't steep the dark grains for more than 15 minutes. With still "husked" grains, I'd go with cold steeping.

Im guessing I should keep the pot at stable 155/160 and then do a 30 min steep. I think that was my problem.

I'm thinking that's definately where the problem is, or at least, that's what you should have done. If you started at room temp, it obviously takes a while to get it up to the minimum 140 degrees you need to start getting the good enzyme conversion. So, you probably spent only about 10-15 minutes in the 'good' temperature range. Get the water up to about 160 first, then add the grains and keep the temperature around 150-155 for a full 30 minutes. I think you'll see a big improvement.

Back