Lets make cheese! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Lets make cheese!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Rafaelcoronado
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Cazenovia, Ny

I really want to start making cheese, any suggestions on a relatively easy recipe to start with. I think I'll pick up a kit from my local home-brew store. I can get raw milk and my favorite cheese is probably blu and anything to do with goat
Thanks for any advice or tips

Old 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4681 Times on 3154 Posts

One of the easiest cheeses to make I think is mozzarella. There are some good instructions on here that how how to make it in about 30 minutes or so. You can even use the leftover whey to make some ricotta too.

You will need rennet and some sort of acid. I use Citric acid, because I have it, but I think others have successfully used white vinegar.

One other super important thing to know is that you can't use ULTRA pasteurized milk. And if you can get unpasteurized milk, so much the better.

I'm thinking of making another batch soon, and putting it on pizza or maybe deep frying. Just need a real good crispy batter recipe...

Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Rafaelcoronado
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Cazenovia, Ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal
One of the easiest cheeses to make I think is mozzarella. There are some good instructions on here that how how to make it in about 30 minutes or so. You can even use the leftover whey to make some ricotta too.

You will need rennet and some sort of acid. I use Citric acid, because I have it, but I think others have successfully used white vinegar.

One other super important thing to know is that you can't use ULTRA pasteurized milk. And if you can get unpasteurized milk, so much the better.

I'm thinking of making another batch soon, and putting it on pizza or maybe deep frying. Just need a real good crispy batter recipe...
Thanks. I have a good beer batter recipe

1 large egg
(12-oz.) beer
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Some black pepper would prob be good in it.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Clef051
Recipes 

Nov 2010
north rose, ny
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I want to get into making cheese too. My milk just says pasteurized, nothing about being ultra-pasteurized does that mean it is ok. I'm not even sure where I could get unpasteurized milk.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7616 Times on 5360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clef051 View Post
I want to get into making cheese too. My milk just says pasteurized, nothing about being ultra-pasteurized does that mean it is ok. I'm not even sure where I could get unpasteurized milk.
If it's just pasteurized, it should be ok. Use a little calcium chloride if the milk has been homogenized.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #6
viking73
Recipes 

Nov 2009
MT, MT
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I still can't get good curd formation with CaCl. Nothing for it now, time for a share in a goat herd or milk cow...

Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4681 Times on 3154 Posts

The first time I did it I did not have good luck, from the looks of things, but it ended up ok after a bit more time. We kneeded it too much and not enough salt.

The second batch we used more salt, which helped the flavor, and used a microwave to heat it up between kneedings. Came out great!

We used plain, pasteurized whole milk for both, but different brand, IIRC.