Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4247 Times on 2593 Posts
Likes Given: 3654

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
With all that being said, why can I easily boil 6.5 gallons of H2O in an AL pot? AL is the better conducter and should be losing a ton of heat thru its walls. Yet it boiled the water impressively.

I do think JKarp is right: pot geometry has a large effect. You could not boil with an element in a pot that is 5' diameter by 3" deep; the convection would never occur. I think I'll leave it in the the AL pot until I go 220V. Anyway, I am still happy with the fact that a 5 gallon batch can be boiled with 120v..... we do agree on that right?
Glad to hear you are successful with your setup.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #32
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Yes sir. I am building (almost done. where the hell is that free time) jkarps CTB20. It's exciting to know that I could essentially do a 5G batch with it. I thought the 2000W element would limit me to 3.5G batches.
That's what I thought too until I walked out into the garage and it was like a Turkish Sauna.... I expected to see some fat harry guy sitting in the corner. Instead I saw 6.5 gallons bubbling away. Not a crazy boil, but the nice roller. The roller that gently lifts your hops and says "come on out hop oils and infuse my IPA....." I'm doing it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #33
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi guys,

I brewed a 5.5g batch of ordinary bitters on this system last night. It went REALLY well. The mash out temp was 170f (no sparge) so I didn't have that far to go for the boil. I got about 72% efficiency from a 10lb grain bill.

The most surprising thing about the boil was the lack of boil-over. I ran the element full on for the entire boil. The transition from hot to boil was slight and I was able to just skim off the hot break. I don't know if this is because the element's power is so low (2000kW). There was some residue on the element but it came off easily with a chore boy.

5.5g brew session with 120VAC power is possible with a bit of patience!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
finley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Out of curiosity, are you using a heat stick, or do you have the element mounted in the pot?

I am looking at moving soon, and had been tossing the idea around about adding 2 2000W 120v elements to a Keggle, and heavily insulating with a bit of Kaowool I have around. Your tests are definetly promising to me on what I can pull off now.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have two 2000w elements mounted in my keggle with Reflectix insulation and EASILY boil 12 gallons.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #36
iijakii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
Hi guys,

I brewed a 5.5g batch of ordinary bitters on this system last night. It went REALLY well. The mash out temp was 170f (no sparge) so I didn't have that far to go for the boil. I got about 72% efficiency from a 10lb grain bill.

The most surprising thing about the boil was the lack of boil-over. I ran the element full on for the entire boil. The transition from hot to boil was slight and I was able to just skim off the hot break. I don't know if this is because the element's power is so low (2000kW). There was some residue on the element but it came off easily with a chore boy.

5.5g brew session with 120VAC power is possible with a bit of patience!
Was the boil decent? A rolling boil on ~7 gallons?

How long did it take to heat from tap up to strike temp?