I have done AG for about a dozen batches now (single infusion, double batch sparge), and have had efficiencies in the 80's every time until my last batch.
Recipe is a simple wit I have done several times but this time I tried to do extreme brewing's blood orange hefe with my wit recipe.
4lbs belgian pils
5lbs unmalted wheat
4oz quick oats
previously getting 1.057 OG this time i got 1.041
A lot went wrong on this one but I was hoping I could get some help figuring out what the major cause of the poor efficiency was...
Mashed in at 1.25 qts/lb usually I do 1.125 qts/lb.
Missed mash temp low added another 1/2 gallon hot water to get up to 154*
Because of greater volume of first runnings I had less room in my boil kettle than usual and didn't have room for all of my third runnings.
7 gallons into kettle, ran out of propane after 30min, it cooled for half hour while I got my tank filled, fired back up boiled 60 more minutes, topped off in fermenter with 1/2 gallon that I steeped the oranges in. I ended up with 6 gallons at 1.041 and brew calculus puts that at 47% efficiency.