BBQ'ing to Save the Planet - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > BBQ'ing to Save the Planet

Old 02-20-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

Sweet mother of god!!!!!
Quote:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0220/p03s01-ussc.html

Humans' beef with livestock: a warmer planet

American meat eaters are responsible for 1.5 more tons of carbon dioxide per person than vegetarians every year.

By Brad Knickerbocker | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor As Congress begins to tackle the causes and cures of global warming, the action focuses on gas-guzzling vehicles and coal-fired power plants, not on lowly bovines.

Yet livestock are a major emitter of greenhouse gases that cause climate change. And as meat becomes a growing mainstay of human diet around the world, changing what we eat may prove as hard as changing what we drive.
It's not just the well-known and frequently joked-about flatulence and manure of grass-chewing cattle that's the problem, according to a recent report by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Land-use changes, especially deforestation to expand pastures and to create arable land for feed crops, is a big part. So is the use of energy to produce fertilizers, to run the slaughterhouses and meat-processing plants, and to pump water.

"Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today's most serious environmental problems," Henning Steinfeld, senior author of the report, said when the FAO findings were released in November.
Livestock are responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse-gas emissions as measured in carbon dioxide equivalent, reports the FAO. This includes 9 percent of all CO2 emissions, 37 percent of methane, and 65 percent of nitrous oxide. Altogether, that's more than the emissions caused by transportation.(more)
If our domestic animals are producing this much earth killing toxic farts just imagine what the rest of the animal kingdom is doing to us!
Those Bassturds!!
Get me a fork, some sauce, and fire up the grill. . . It's time to save the planet!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
alemonkey
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Lincoln, NE
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm doing my part to reduce the animal population. If we're not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

True, you don't get to the top of the food chain to eat bl00dy carrots. Thats what I say!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

So, now can I say "I'll have the double cheeseburger because I'm an environmentalist"

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #5
nikkimac1027

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Florida

hear hear! let's ban together for the sake of the world!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:45 AM   #6
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Sweet. Now I can torture the neighbors with the sweet smell of BBQ more often. I'll just tell em' I'm being Eco-Friendly.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 02-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

I'll do my part. Here's 65 lbs. of Pork.

Here it is 20 hours later

I love fresh pulled pork & home brewed beer!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Edwort, those are some of the finest images to ever grace my eyeballs!

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
ScoutMan

Recipes 

Nov 2006
North Idaho
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While in college at the University of Wyoming in the early nineties, we would celebrate Earth Day every year by having huge BBQ in our front yard, handing out hot burgers to everyone that drove or walked by. A huge sign in the yard read "Celebrate Earth Day, EAT BEEF"

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Canuck
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Drooling all over this thread.