Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > full boil partial mash?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
beerisgood42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default full boil partial mash?

Can i boil the full 5 gallons with a partial mash recipe? I was checking instructions on a midwest supplies kit (cascade pale ale) and it calls for 2 1/2 gallons (1 for steep 1 1/2 for sparge) for boil and add cold water in fermenter. And if I can, should I sparge with more than the 1 1/2 gallons the recipe calls for? This will be my third brew, first partial as I'm working my way up to all grain as I put together my mash tun. I'm working on a stove top with a 6 gallon pot and plan to buy a 10 gallon hopefully this weekend.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
rudu81
Recipes 

Yes, you can. It will give you better hop utilization. Not sure that a 6 gallon pot is big enough for a full 5 gallon boil.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
downinit
Recipes 

A few concerns...
Your stove may not be able to boil 5 gallons.
A 6 gallon pot may not be able to handle a 5 gallon boil.
If you don't have a wort chiller it may take hours to cool more than 3 gallons.
Pale Ale

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
honeybadger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can boil the full volume. Need to be careful though, this will increase utilization of your hops resulting in more IBUs. Would be a good idea to run the recipe through beersmith or similar to get an idea of the difference and make adjustments if you want to.

I wouldn't sparge with more than 1.5 gallons. Could lead to over extraction and tannins etc.

EDIT: this is assuming your kettle is big enough and your stove can boil that volume

Old 02-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
Legin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Can i boil the full 5 gallons with a partial mash recipe?
Absolutely, this is recommended, just not always possible. Although you'll want to include loss from boil and hops (which I'm sure you considered). And Downinit makes a good point. Could take awhile without a hefty immersion chiller or something of the like.

And if I can, should I sparge with more than the 1 1/2 gallons the recipe calls for?
You certainly can, but it probably won't raise your efficiency any, so I don't recommend it. There is also the worry of oversparging, but it is very unlikely with your method.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
beerisgood42
Recipes 

thanks for the replies. i guess i'll steep and sparge as per the recipe. add water to make 5 gallon boil and top of whatever in the fermenter. i appreciate the help.