Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Schlafly Extra Stout

Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
cheezydemon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1655 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

"Why do we need to go to St Lois??" asked SWMBO.......

What can I answer? She likes beer, but won't plan a trip around it unless it means going to Munich.

I know there is some sort of arch, but what will SWMBO care about?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Maybe someone else can do better, because I only go downtown to go to the Tap Room or a Sporting event (Rams, Cards, and Blues). What do you all like to do?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
chaserchap
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hmm, sports events for sure. There's Six Flags if you're into amusement parks. Anheuser Busch brewer tour is cool. **** ton of museums and such.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
EdMerican
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just had my first taste of this beer yesterday. OMFG. Sam Smiths oatmeal was my favorite stout. This has usurped the Old Tadcaster's position in spades. I am too new to brewing to begin to take a stab at cloning this. So if anyone comes up with something even close, PLEASE let me know Although sadly my stove top rig may not be able to handle an AG version...

As far as stuff to do around St. Louis, there's of course the city museum (which has lots of cool stuff even for the grownups and kids at heart, particularly if you like exploring caves and such) in which you can have a frosty cold barley pop, along with some live music by fireside most weekend evenings. Lots of museums, of course. Then there's the food. South grand has anything you can think of to eat. Thai, Vietnamese, sushi, Afghani, Ethiopian, Italian (although i would recommend a trip to the hill for that), Greek. Soulard has lots of great bars/entertainment and food. If you like blues music, down on South Broadway there's BB's, and another place I can't remember the name of that's basically across the street. And then there's the Schlafly Bottleworks. In my opinion the holy grail of St Louis. Wish i had more to offer than mostly food and drink, but since getting married and having 3 kids I don't get out a whole hell of a lot anymore and don't really have my finger on the pulse of St. Louis. If you do happen to venture up this way, stay away from the north side though... Me and the boys refer to it as the "free fire zone".

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
Jelisa08
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I miss working in Maplewood....this is just making me miss it (and living in St. Louis) even more....

Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
EdMerican
Recipes 

I will eventually be moving to the county... I will miss the south side.

"Hell, If it don't turn out good we'll just distill it and get drunk!" - My dad...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
EdMerican
Recipes 

Of course, there's lots of good cycling trails of all kinds too, if you're into that sort of thing. Offroad mountain bike trails in lots of parks and/or public woods. Cool paved trails along the river levees and many other places actually... there are actually connecting paved trails from St Louis city almost to Springfield, IL. I personally have only made it to Edwardsville, IL and back. But that was a few years ago when I had time for such adventures.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
dirkyturky
Recipes 

Anyone traveling through St. Louis would be silly not to stop by the Tap Room and/or Bottleworks. They are both great places. I don't think I've ever been disappointed by anything they brew.Their Extra Stout is amazing ,but the American IPA and Dry Hopped APA rank the highest for me. Anyone who enjoys their brew should check out their Hop in the City Festival. I've been the last two years and had an amazing time. Well worth the $25 bucks for the ticket.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #19
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 to the Hop in the City. They serve all the beers they have brewed throughout the years!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
dirkyturky
Recipes 

I noticed the other day No. 15 is no longer listed on their website. I'm a little worried...