Quick Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thony14

Reaction score
Yo Yo,
Does putting the bottles in the fridge for a few days after they have sat at room temperature complete the carbonating process? Or can i put them in until it cools off, then crack one open and enjoy.

Thanks mucho
Thony

I would say putting bottles in the fridge will end any carbonating...but it will cool them to an enjoyable temp for drinking.

The cooling allows the CO2 to dissolve in the liquid. I don't know if you need a few days, but my experience is it should be overnight.

Uh, what? It usually takes a bottle a couple weeks to complete carbonation. If you were to put it in the fridge you would put the yeast to "sleep" and carbonation would take months.

Am I missing something? How long have they been in the bottle already?

My bottles usually sit for three weeks at room temp to carb then I put them in my fridge for another two weeks to clear up and chill.

Uh, what? It usually takes a bottle a couple weeks to complete carbonation. If you were to put it in the fridge you would put the yeast to "sleep" and carbonation would take months.

Am I missing something? How long have they been in the bottle already?

My bottles usually sit for three weeks at room temp to carb then I put them in my fridge for another two weeks to clear up and chill.

No they are not in the fridge. They have been sitting at about 70 degrees for like 2.5 weeks. I was just wondering if after they are ready, does the fridge finish up the process.

Once they're chilled to drinking temps you can go ahead and drink em. Extended time in the fridge will help clear the beer and compact the yeast. The "finish up the process" idea comes from the fact that if you open a beer before it has been properly chilled i.e. too warm, you will get a pfft when you crack the top, but possibly flatter beer than if you had allowed the beer to fully chill. This is because more gas (CO2 in our case) can dissolve in a cold liquid (beer) than in a warm liquid.

Back