HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The cigar thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #101
commonsenseman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerWars View Post
Any suggestions for pipe tobacco commonsense?

My grandpa smoked his pipe outside and the most delightful smell would waft into their basement. I can still smell it in my head to this day (25 years later). Because of my grandpa any time I smell pipe smoke (which seems to be never these days) I have a visceral reaction that takes me back to my grandparents basement.

I have never tried a pipe, don't know anyone who smokes a pipe, nor would I even know where to begin.
Any idea what he smoked?

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #102
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

My grandpa smoked his pipe outside and the most delightful smell would waft into their basement. I can still smell it in my head to this day (25 years later). Because of my grandpa any time I smell pipe smoke (which seems to be never these days) I have a visceral reaction that takes me back to my grandparents basement.

I have never tried a pipe, don't know anyone who smokes a pipe, nor would I even know where to begin.
I'm in the same boat. Both grandparents (mother's side) and my father, all long gone now, were pipe smokers and the smell brings back a flood of memories. I promised myself I wouldn't buy a pipe until after my humidor was empty. At the rate that I smoke cigars, it'll be another 10 years!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #103
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
Any idea what he smoked?
No idea at all. Pardon my ignorance but it had that characteristic "sweet" pipe smell. I would almost say that it has hints of cherry.

Is there a blend that would be popular amongst older men?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #104
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Quote:

Since your location says Chicago, if you are really wanting to get into pipe smoking, head in to Iwan Ries at 19 S. Wabash Avenue in Chicago. The guys in there are VERY knowledgeable and will teach you how to pick out a good pipe (bowl size, drilled hole location, balance, how to pack the bowl, etc...) They usually have some very good starter pipes for around $35 and some estate pipes that while used, are in good condition and have been cleaned up quite nicely.

Then, for an incredibly wonderful aromatic tobacco, head over to Updown Cigar in Old Town (1550 N. Wells, Old Town). Get their Night Train blend (see if IR has it but last time I was there, they didn't).

What I found to be the biggest difference between a pipe and a cigar is a pipe is a bit more work. Also, I found a pipe to be sharper on the tongue than a cigar is. I would smoke a pipe now and again, however folks don't seem to like seeing a woman with a pipe. They are more accepting if it is a cigar :-(

Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #105
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Quote:
No idea at all. Pardon my ignorance but it had that characteristic "sweet" pipe smell. I would almost say that it has hints of cherry.

Is there a blend that would be popular amongst older men?
A blend that is quite old that has a cherry hint to it is Captain Rudy. The guys in Iwan Ries might even be able to help you narrow it down (most of the guys are OLD in there)

Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #106
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
I'm in the same boat. Both grandparents (mother's side) and my father, all long gone now, were pipe smokers and the smell brings back a flood of memories. I promised myself I wouldn't buy a pipe until after my humidor was empty. At the rate that I smoke cigars, it'll be another 10 years!
It's crazy. I will just catch a whiff of smoke floating through the air (I can be driving with my windows down) and my mind goes right back to their basement. It is really cool. They had a finished walk out that was set up for entertaining. 20 seat wet bar with taps, bottles and beer fridges (I was way too young to drink - but my grandpa let me behind the counter and let me pour. Tons of seating in the TV area for everyone / card tables. When we were at their house, we literally spent the entire time down there. LOOOOOTS of memories flood in.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #107
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm, lots of old guy blends that have been discontinued, some are still around though.

Middleton's Cherry perhaps?

Others that a lot of guys used to smoke exclusively: Union Leader, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Velvet, Edgeworth Sliced, Half & Half, etc.

As GeoGirl said, if you're close to Iwan Ries definitely check it out. You'll be able to get a bunch of stuff to try out, & hopefully some good pipe-smoking advice (priceless).

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #108
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGirl View Post
What I found to be the biggest difference between a pipe and a cigar is a pipe is a bit more work.
I tried my first pipe in about 15 years last night. I really don't remember having to relight so many times, but maybe I'm just being forgetful. I think I got it packed pretty nicely. I did a bit of online research regarding that, but every 10-15 minutes it would burn down to a point where it just wouldn't continue. I'm going to have to get better at my technique!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #109
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I tried my first pipe in about 15 years last night. I really don't remember having to relight so many times, but maybe I'm just being forgetful. I think I got it packed pretty nicely. I did a bit of online research regarding that, but every 10-15 minutes it would burn down to a point where it just wouldn't continue. I'm going to have to get better at my technique!
Should have mentioned before, pipe-tobacco benefits greatly from being fairly dry prior to smoking. I set mine out on a piece of paper for an hour or so, then fill my pipe.

Also, be sure you're "filling" the pipe, not "packing" it down. It needs a decent amount of air to burn well. A good general rule of thumb is that when you draw on the pipe, there should be just a little bit of resistance, like sucking through a straw. If you have to work at it, it's packed too tight.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #110
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3018 Times on 2967 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I had a Monte Vintage 1999 on saturday and while it wasn't a dog rocket I didn't really enjoy it either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong