I have enjoyed all the information on this forum, and have two batches fermenting one about 1-1/2 weeks the other about 4 days. Going to start more tonight different yeast. Some of the questions I have I know depend on the original SG of the juice, temperature, yeast type and many other variables.
1) Completion of primary fermentation No bubbles in air lock ever? or every 30 seconds or more? Time 2,3,4 weeks or longer?
2) Do I wait until completion to take the final SG reading or can I remove the stopper/air lock and take an SG at what point so that it does not become to dry? Do I siphon some out to take the SG with the Hydrometer or try to read it in the 1 gallon jug?
3) I see on some posts where people taste the cyder as it approaches primary completion. Do I use a Wine Thief?
4) I see in the photo on the "Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments" http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/resu...riments-83060/
sticky that it looks like milk jugs on the bar. Is that what I am seeing or am I mistaken?
5) Can I use the 1 gallon jugs that the apple juice comes in? I see the debate about plastic and the concern for oxygen permeable plastics but if it is good enough for the long term storage of the pasteurized juice why not the cider, or is the alcohol the problem but most alcohol how comes in plastic? Confused.
Again as always you expertise always welcome.