My Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
If Liquid -Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @70F
Tasting Notes
Crisp, citrusy,very smooth, and not overly bitter for the level of hop flavor
Assuming 82% efficiency (Add 2-row if you get less):

7lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
2lbs Pale Ale Malt (3.5L)
12oz Crystal 60L

0.5oz Simcoe @60min
1oz Cascade @15min
1oz Cascade @5min
1oz Simcoe @0min

Mash at 154*
Safale US05 fermented at 65*F

Dry hop from days 14-21 with:
0.5oz Cascade
0.5oz Simcoe

Targets: OG:1.054, FG:1.012, ABV:5.4%, IBU:35 SRM: 8.2L

This beer is fairly light in color for a pale ale. It's not very bitter, but it's very hoppy due to the late additions. Those familiar with Four Peaks can think of it as like a 'Baby' Hop Knot -- a simple pale ale version of their IPA.

Its become my go-to recipe for pleasing a crowd, and how sessionable it is. Picture of this beer to follow. It achieves commercial-level clarity after 2 weeks in the keg.

IMG_2091.JPG

I've been wanting to try something with Simcoe in the mix and this looks right down my alley. May have to add it to the list. Thanks for the recipe.

Here's a picture of the most recent batch I made. Gives you a better idea of the color.

DSC_1680.jpg

This beer took 1st place in it's category at the Gnarly Barley Competition in Colorado!

Lager it after it's carbed up in the bottles. I stick my beers in the fridge for three weeks or so after the first two weeks of getting bottled, not only do they come out super super clear, the yeast cake is so tight in the bottom of the bottle that I'm able to pour out the whole beer without disturbing it

^^^ It's mostly this. I keg, so the beer "lagers" in the fridge for a few weeks before i tap it. By the second week they are crystal clear.

A little gelatin also goes a long way. 1tsp on gelatin mixed in 1cup of 150* water added straight to the keg can work wonders. Try just leaving a bottle of your beer in the fridge for 3 weeks, and see what happens.

pulled my first draft of this tonight, no where near as clear as yours. has an odd taste, but dunno if that just my taster or the beer. a brew friend tried it with me, he was either really polite or really liked it ;)

How long has it been on draft? Mine have a little odd taste for about a week in the keg, it's like a weird mix of the carbonation and the dry hops. After a week, it's gone and tastes delicious.

Hey Scott, care to comment on the 2lbs Pale Ale Malt (3.5L) addition? How different is it from the regular plain Jane 2 row? Is it just for color, or is it maltier? I've got this one on the list of to-brews, but I'm curious how important it is.

It's not that critical. It just adds a little bready maltiness. You could easily substitute a pound of Vienna.

i can see a lot of traffic through that area. :D kidding ... awesomely clear beer, with a tasty-looking recipe. i'm already setting it up in my beersmith

It's not that critical. It just adds a little bready maltiness. You could easily substitute a pound of Vienna.

I've been using a touch of Light Munich in my pales, and I've got C-60L and Cascade in stock. Now if I can get my hands on some Simcoe, I'll put this hop schedule to work. Thanks for the recipe.

Back