Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Adding OGs....

Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
perschml
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding OGs....

I want to do some hard lemon aid for summer but everywhere i read says to reuse a yeast cake off something fermenting...* My thought was to make up a gallon*strawberry "wine" then add that to 4 gallons of the "hard lemon aid" recipe when the strawberry stuff is going good.

My problem is that I don’t know how to add up the OG’s to keep it from being too strong….

Any suggestions?!?!?!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Skyforger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Starters shouldn't be too strong; about 1.04, generally. Do you have a hydrometer? If not, I highly recommend getting one; they're cheap, and often considered an almost essential tool in beer and winemaking. Past that, it will be difficult to figure out how much sugar is in the strawberries, unless you use a commercial strawberry juice with nutrition facts.

I would also recommend adding lemon juice in increments to the starter. That will help prepare the yeast for the shock of a highly acidic environment. Hard lemonade can be tricky because of this; yeast doesn't much like all the acid. You want to get them as prepared as you can.

I like the idea of making a hard lemonade with some strawberry, though. Strawberries and lemons are the perfect complement, especially in summertime.