Dryhopping sanitation concerns - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dryhopping sanitation concerns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,759
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts



My IIPA has been in primary for almost two weeks now. It's still hitting a few bubbles per minute, but the time is fast approaching when I'll need to move it to secondary. I'm going to dryhop the hell out of it, using 1/2oz each of four different varieties.

The hops are all mixed together in a couple of lidded plastic cups. They've been in these cups since brewday. I'm planning on putting them all in a muslin bag. Do I need to somehow sanitize the hops before adding them to secondary, or will I be okay?

I know hops generally have some sort of antiseptic properties, and the IIPA should be around 9% ABV when I rack it, so am I out of the woods with contamination? I had some vague idea about putting the hops into the bag, then soaking it in a small amount of vodka for a couple minutes, then putting it in the secondary carboy along with the little bit of vodka. Is this a good idea?


__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,821
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
My IIPA has been in primary for almost two weeks now. It's still hitting a few bubbles per minute, but the time is fast approaching when I'll need to move it to secondary. I'm going to dryhop the hell out of it, using 1/2oz each of four different varieties.

The hops are all mixed together in a couple of lidded plastic cups. They've been in these cups since brewday. I'm planning on putting them all in a muslin bag. Do I need to somehow sanitize the hops before adding them to secondary, or will I be okay?

I know hops generally have some sort of antiseptic properties, and the IIPA should be around 9% ABV when I rack it, so am I out of the woods with contamination? I had some vague idea about putting the hops into the bag, then soaking it in a small amount of vodka for a couple minutes, then putting it in the secondary carboy along with the little bit of vodka. Is this a good idea?
I've never bothered sanitizing hops. Too much of a PITA just for a little peace of mind. I just sanitize my hands, spray some starsan solution around the carboy lip, and stuff them in. In fact, I've got me an IIPA that's been dryhopping for 2 weeks, along with about an ounce of oak cubes. Tasted it last night. Holy shyte! Truly groundbreakingly great beer. Joe, dude, I HIGHLY recommend oaking your IIPA alongside the dryhopping.


__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,759
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


After these two responses, and some other research I did, I think I'm just going to sanitize the bag and throw the hops in with a couple weights of some kind. I think we have a big bowl of glass beads that would be perfect.

As for oaking, well, I've only had one beer that's been oaked in my drinking career: Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. There was just too much going on in there for my tastes. It put me off the idea of oaking anything, at least for now.

I've also heard oaking is easy to overdo. I might look into it for some future brew, but since dryhopping day is more than likely going to be Thursday night, I won't have time to get any oak anyway. I don't believe LHBS carries it.
__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
After these two responses, and some other research I did, I think I'm just going to sanitize the bag and throw the hops in with a couple weights of some kind. I think we have a big bowl of glass beads that would be perfect.

As for oaking, well, I've only had one beer that's been oaked in my drinking career: Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. There was just too much going on in there for my tastes. It put me off the idea of oaking anything, at least for now.

I've also heard oaking is easy to overdo. I might look into it for some future brew, but since dryhopping day is more than likely going to be Thursday night, I won't have time to get any oak anyway. I don't believe LHBS carries it.

Ironically I just bottled my IIPA that has been dry hopping for the past two weeks and had a 22 of the Oak Aged Yeti this past weekend. I agree...from my pov that Yeti just had a bit too much oak/burbonish notes and it was overwhelming. Enough so that I was not all that interested in finishing the whole 22oz. Interesting but a bit over the top.

I bleach (to remove any dyes/color) and thoroughly wash some pantyhose for holding the hop pellets and use a looser bag for whole leaf. I can't wait for this batch to carb...whole lot of hops going on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,821
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts


To redeem your faith in oaked brews, try Dogfish Head's Burton Baton. They just sent out the shipments recently. The oak isn't easily identifiable as oak, it just adds this extra something to the profile.
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,759
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I'll look into that. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is one of the greatest beers ever, IMO, but I have been unimpressed in general with their other efforts. The Punkin Ale, meh, it's okay. Raison D'Etre, not so great. Haven't tried that weird new one, Chateau Jiahu, which is based on some ancient recipe, but at ~$13/bottle, I'm a bit leery.
__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,821
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
I'll look into that. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is one of the greatest beers ever, IMO, but I have been unimpressed in general with their other efforts. The Punkin Ale, meh, it's okay. Raison D'Etre, not so great. Haven't tried that weird new one, Chateau Jiahu, which is based on some ancient recipe, but at ~$13/bottle, I'm a bit leery.
90 MIN: excellent stuff, as you said.
120 MIN: VERY awesome stuff. Over the top. Wonderfully hoppy and sweet.
World Wide Stout: Very nearly like booze. Like a fine scotch. Find some.
Fort: A raspberry strong ale. Well worth the price.
Burton Baton: an oaked IIPA, another favorite.

Also, Olde School bwine is awesome, esp. with age.

Yeah, the other ones, kinda iffy on them. Though, the 60 minute IS a good IPA. Jiahu is WEIRD, like the midas touch, which I don't care for. I do like the indian brown too. Don't care for the raison d'etre. And the chicory stout is good but not great.

But yeah, try the BB!
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,759
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I love the 120min, but I can't enjoy it because I don't get to drink as much as I'd like to! I really liked the Indian Brown Ale when we had it on tap at my pub, but it didn't impress me in bottles. I bet I could get a sample bottle of that Burton Baton stuff from the rep for the distributor that carries DFH beers. Hafta look into that.
__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 609
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


If you plan to use a hop bag, make sure you use plenty of weight. I added 1.5 oz of hops (whole leaf and plug) in a bag with about 6 grape sized marbles in my IPA and it's still floating. I should have used a whole bunch more, maybe a quarter to half a pound? It sure smells good coming out of the airlock though.
__________________
Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,759
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure how many marbles to use. I'm using only pellets though, so they might not be quite as likely to float as whole flowers.


__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will dryhopping help? Stevorino General Beer Discussion 6 08-04-2009 05:10 PM
Dryhopping and sanitation NewBrew75 General Beer Discussion 7 01-12-2009 11:38 PM
IPA dryhopping question. frothiehops Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-26-2008 09:22 PM
Dryhopping Cheesefood General Techniques 15 05-12-2007 06:23 PM
Trying Dryhopping pirate252 General Techniques 7 03-09-2007 01:39 AM


Forum Jump