Keezer Collar - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keezer Collar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
muse435
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 593
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts



I am about to go to HD and buy my GE 5 cu ft freezer. I want a collar on it so i can keep my CO2 tank on the outside. I live in an apartment and don;t have access to the proper tools required for a nice collar but i was thinking of buying a couple of 2x4's and using them. It would not be tall or look "sweet" but it would allow me to drill through it and not the freezer.

While writing this i had a thought, the hinge is probably bigger than 3.75 in or so an I wont be able to get away with a 2x4. I will get the appropriate size that will allow this to work for me.

The real question i have is "how well does 2 in of wood work as an insulator? Do i need/should use foam as well?"
__________________

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale


"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
SporkD2
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 740
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I used 1x4s for my collar and then bought the cheap blue foam rolls at HD and lined the inside with that. Works great if the keezer is inside where the temps wont fluctuate that much. If its outside or in a garage I would make sure to insulate the collar really well.

Hope that helps
__________________
None :(

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,891
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts


The hinges really depend on the brand. A friend has a 2x4 collar on his and it works fine. No insulation if I recall.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
SporkD2
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 740
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


If you do use 1x4's i suggest putting the hinges on the freezer lid and not the collar as well. Mine was very heavy when I didn't do this and regretted it.
__________________
None :(

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
muse435
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 593
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
If you do use 1x4's i suggest putting the hinges on the freezer lid and not the collar as well. Mine was very heavy when I didn't do this and regretted it.
My plan is to remover the lid from the body while keeping the hinge attached to the lid, the collar will remain stationary on top of the body when the lid is opened. Is this what you meant?

This brings me to my next question, how do you recommend securing the collar to the body? my thoughts were to get two sided padded tape and on the back secure it to the original holes for the hinge. My ultimate goal is to do no damage to the freezer, as not to void the warranty, also in case i use it for something else, or sell it for an upgrade.

Any suggestions on the type of wood for 2x4s? it does not have to look amazing, I am more concerned with utility right now, as well as on a budget.
__________________

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale


"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Jota21
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 317
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by muse435 View Post
While writing this i had a thought, the hinge is probably bigger than 3.75 in or so an I wont be able to get away with a 2x4. I will get the appropriate size that will allow this to work for me.

The real question i have is "how well does 2 in of wood work as an insulator? Do i need/should use foam as well?"
I have no idea why it's done this way, but to the the best of my knowledge:
a 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5
a 2x6 is actually 1.5 x 5.5
a 2x8 is actually 1.5 x 7.25
a 2x10 is actually 1.5 x 9.25
a 2x12 is actually 1.5 x 11.15

and so on and so forth....

Wood is a decent insulator, but for a few extra bucks, i'd put some foam on the back.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Posts: 1,261
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by muse435 View Post
This brings me to my next question, how do you recommend securing the collar to the body? my thoughts were to get two sided padded tape and on the back secure it to the original holes for the hinge. My ultimate goal is to do no damage to the freezer, as not to void the warranty, also in case i use it for something else, or sell it for an upgrade.
Try this stuff, it comes highly recommended by several people on this site. You can find similar at home depot.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/M-D-...y-3439247.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
whalenutz
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
whalenutz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Anchorage
Posts: 248
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Liquid Nail

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
muse435
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 593
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jota21 View Post
I have no idea why it's done this way, but to the the best of my knowledge:
a 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5
a 2x6 is actually 1.5 x 5.5
a 2x8 is actually 1.5 x 7.25
a 2x10 is actually 1.5 x 9.25
a 2x12 is actually 1.5 x 11.15

and so on and so forth....

Wood is a decent insulator, but for a few extra bucks, i'd put some foam on the back.
It is done like that for the size of the original saw blades in the mill, and buys want to think they are getting more (That is what i was told as a kid) :-)

I think i'm going to get some sheet insulation
__________________

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale


"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
muse435
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 593
Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
Try this stuff, it comes highly recommended by several people on this site. You can find similar at home depot.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/M-D-...y-3439247.html
Does it come off?
__________________

Starter - Onyx IPA
Primary - The Elf's' Reward
Kegged - Too Sweet Honey Ale


"Drinking cheep beer is like having sex with an ugly woman, sure it gets the job done, but your friends WILL find out!"

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
keezer collar questions BuzzCraft Bottling/Kegging 12 03-17-2011 12:46 PM
Do you really need a collar on a keezer? BoiseJim Bottling/Kegging 5 08-26-2010 03:39 PM
Keezer collar and condensation dedhedjed Bottling/Kegging 3 04-15-2010 12:46 AM
New Keezer and Collar Question iXanadu Bottling/Kegging 9 05-03-2009 11:24 PM
Keezer collar. Bender Bottling/Kegging 4 12-23-2008 06:02 AM


Forum Jump