Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Juniper Hops??

Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
pezcraig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Juniper Hops??

I was at Grizzly Peak Brewing Company last night in Ann Arbor, MI and I found myself enjoying the Junicade Red (sp?). It was so damn good. I asked the server and was told Cascade and Juniper hops. Juniper hops? Are you sure? Juniper Hops affirmed! I was dubious. I asked again, Juniper berries. NO! Juniper hops. I scratched my head and tipped my drink back and ordered another.
I just havn't heard of them, can't find info on them, asked my buddies-one said he knows of them, but can not support with any info. Any help out there on Juniper Hops?

note: I know that juniper berries can be used as a bittering...how much is standard?

Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1250 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 2404

I've never heard of juniper hops, sorry. But, I recently made an ale with juniper berries and it is outstanding, one of my favorites. I also used lemon peel, which goes very nicely with the juniper.

Not having a good idea about what amounts to use, I bought (at my lhbs) one package of juniper berries and one of dried lemon peel and used all of each, making a potion by soaking them in vodka for about four weeks. I used about a half a pint of vodka. I added the potion at bottling (at the same time I added the sugar solution).

Cheers!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Probably_Confused
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just be careful if you're going to use the berries. If you add too much, the batch will just taste like Pine Sol. I made that mistake the first time I used juniper anyways