Let's talk coffee... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Let's talk coffee...

Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Who here is a coffee freak? I'm just now getting into it--but I don't know ANYTHING about anything coffee related. I got a Bodum coffee press for x-mas and I've yet to use it for other than a test batch, which I really enjoyed. I can't wait to try it with fresh coffee that I grind myself. I'd be interested in learning about coffee forums or info that you guys can pass along. I'd really like to study up on what makes a good variety bean and all that. I'm clueless.

If you know of a "coffee of the month" club that you could recommend, I'll prolly try it out.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 527 Times on 423 Posts

I drink way too much coffee to spend any real money on it...

This, however, is a great read if you want a lot of the history behind coffee and its influence on world history.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Groun...e=UTF8&s=books

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #3
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Man, I'm all about the coffee. Like you, I just got a grinder and a Bodum press.

There's a guy who sells Killer Beans on a couple of the cigar forums I read. People seem to love them. He sells a sampler. I just recieved two pounds of hs beans (Nicaraguan and Kolassi), but haven't ground any yet. Maybe tomorrow morning.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 02-19-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
desiderata

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The French Press makes great tasting coffee. I like mine strong...not sure if you can even make a weak coffee with the press. I like how I can easily make just one cup at a time, which is usually the case. Also, needs no disposable filters , and finally, instead of being too hot to drink, after letting it steep for the four minutes or so, it's the perfect drinking temp.

I buy the roasted whole beans after grinding them at the grocery store, but I'm interested in roasting my own and then grinding them. I still need the equipment, though. I just want to see if it improves the flavor like I hear it does. I mean, the fresher the beans and roast, the better the coffee, right? Besides, I figured, if I do all the work to make homebrew, why not go for the best coffee as well?

I don't really consider myself a coffee conneisseur, I just like quality coffee that isn't auto drip. I also use turbinado sugar instead of refined. That's about the extent...so far.

One thing I don't know much about is the type of beans. I buy the darker roasts from the grocery store (i.e. french, italian, espresso).

Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Coffee is my best friend. I am in love with it. Without it I am nothing.

I drink it all day at work - make it with a plunger thingy. If there is some left from the day before I have that first! Nice and strong

There is a brazian in the office where I work and he is just as mad as me.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

I used to stop at Wawa every morning for their chocolate macadamia. Now that I have an ulcer, I haven't had coffee in about 3 weeks.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
I used to stop at Wawa every morning for their chocolate macadamia. Now that I have an ulcer, I haven't had coffee in about 3 weeks.

Man, an ulcer? Did I miss that? Sorry to hear it. And the unfortunate loss of coffee to boot. I've cut way back on mine. 2 cups in the am and that's it, then water at work. But man I do love more than a few cups on the weekend.

Sorry again about the stomach.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 527 Times on 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
Life just sucks for Todd_K lately, doesn't it?

That's too bad...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-19-2007, 03:48 AM   #9
Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Canuck
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I dont mind coffee i only drink it right after i get up and just use the normal grinds nothing fancy little milk and 1 tsp sugar.

I would never buy from starbucks or any of these $9.00 drinks.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 AM   #10
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

I gave coffee up for the most part when I started having "issues" when I was in the Navy from drinking 5 POTS a day. Now I may have a cup every now and again but I get my cafene fix from diet Coke.