How do you distinguish between krausen and infection? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How do you distinguish between krausen and infection?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
krantze
Recipes 

Jan 2011
san marcos, CA

Though my carboy was thoroughly cleaned and sanitized, I couldn't get a small amount of leftover krausen off the edges. Now my new beer (in the same carboy) has a very thick layer of foam and krausen with some really dark brown bubbly looking areas. It's only been 2 days since I bottled my last beer, so is infection that bad even possible or is it just krausen?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts

It's krausen, don't even worry about it. You put a beer in a fermenter, you pitched yeast. 2 days later you have krausen, everything is fine. Fermentation is ugly and stinky, and that is on good days.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts

If you want a pristine carboy fill it with hot water, put in a couple scoops of PBW or oxiclean and let it sit for a couple hours. After the crust goes away, dump it and rinse it out a couple times.

Oh, yeah...and it's definitely krausen.