Barley from the grocery store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehron

Reaction score
My Oatmeal Stout recipe calls for British Roasted Barley (4oz) and unfortunately, it seems that I missed this at the LHBS while shopping. The shop is closed and I want to start tonight. I could skip the barley, but I'd rather not. Is there any reason why I couldn't buy barley from the grocery store, roast it in the oven and use that? Would that be better than leaving it out?

I think you can roast your own barley Charlie Papazians book even tells you how. But I think the grocery store barley won't work cuz doesn't it have to be malted barley.

the_bird said:
I'm not sure whether the grocery store barley would work, but roasted barley is unmalted, so that's not an issue.

This is what I thought. I imagine that roasting the barley I buy wouldn't cause any serious problems. Or is 4 oz enough to skip? I could add a bit of extra Crystal malt maybe.

Add a little more dark crystal or chocolate. You will lack a little of the color (probably not noticable in a stout) and bitterness, but eh, it will be yummy anyhow.

The Pol

The Pol said:
Add a little more dark crystal or chocolate. You will lack a little of the color (probably not noticable in a stout) and bitterness, but eh, it will be yummy anyhow.

The Pol

Good point. I'm not necessarily trying to nail this particular recipe (Young's Oatmeal), but more so trying to make a good beer.

It will be good, I have a stout going to my seconday tomorrow, here is my grain bill...

7lb Maris Otter
2lbs Pale 6 Row (to aid in the sparge)
1lb Oatmeal
1lb Chocolate Malt
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Crystal 120

Yours will be slightly sweeter than planned, darn!

The Pol

I think you'll miss some roastiness if you skip it. I'd try home-roasting, just be careful not to burn it. Worst-case, you'll add some toastiness instead of roastiness.

try the DIY, if it was me and I didn't I'd wonder how it would have gone, with just 4oz there's not really that much you can do to ruin your beer. Just ask yourself what you want to do, try something or play it safe?

The roasted barley does not have to be malted. 4oz is a flavor addition...your beer will lack some of the intended flavor without it.

Grocery store barley would work...just smell it first. If it smells like barley, give it a quick roast in the oven, crack it, and add it in. Grocery store barley may smell like nothing...if that is the case, not much point in adding it...although, the roasting will add some aroma/flavor. Your call.

I personally really enjoy the roasted barley flavor of my stout, but it won't ruin the beer without it.

My $0.02.

Enjoy!!

PikledBill

did it many times by now with great results. I just bought unmalted barley from the grocery store and roast it.

you can experiment with roasting (times and temperatures) but if you ask me, you'll roast it for 10 minutes @ 180C in the oven. you can taste one grain, and decide if you want to continue for couple of more minutes...

Back