Cleaning mold inside corny? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cleaning mold inside corny?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,881
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts



I have two corny kegs I use for fermentation. I cleaned and sanitized one after use and I guess some water or starsan got left in the bottom in the little indention in the very bottom and it developed a half ring of green mold/fungus.

I tried soaking in a strong oxiclean solution but so far only some of it has come off. I tried reaching in there with a bottle/carboy brush but I can't seem to get all of it off that way either.

Any suggestions on what I could use to scrub out the mold or what will dissolve it without damaging the keg?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
buzzkill
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Green Country Oklahoma
Posts: 982
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts


guess Im lucky, my arm will fit inside mine. you could drop in a green scrubby and take a long spoon and scrub it that way.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Egbert
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Roanoke, VA
Posts: 52
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Since it is mold, kill it first then take it off then sanitize it again.

Boiling water then vinegar then chlorine then rinse then a warm PBW soak and let it sit there for a day.

Rinse then sanitize. If there is still mold, you didn't do the PBW right. Do it again until it is gone.

Overkill? Yup, but then again it's mold in a stainless fermenter. If you do not get it clean you'll have strange problems in your beer until you get rid of it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,337
Liked 300 Times on 235 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Since it is mold, kill it first then take it off then sanitize it again.

Boiling water then vinegar then chlorine then rinse then a warm PBW soak and let it sit there for a day.

Rinse then sanitize. If there is still mold, you didn't do the PBW right. Do it again until it is gone.

Overkill? Yup, but then again it's mold in a stainless fermenter. If you do not get it clean you'll have strange problems in your beer until you get rid of it.
Just a serious heads up: Do not ever use chlorine (bleach) on Stainless Steel.
This will result in the develoment of pin holes through the SS over time.
How To Brew - Appendix B - Brewing Metallurgy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Egbert
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Roanoke, VA
Posts: 52
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


30 seconds of chlorine solution is the least of your worries if you've got an infected fermenter.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,879
Liked 163 Times on 132 Posts


Get a NEW toilet brush with a long handle. (No potty jokes please).

I used one scoop of oxyclean for 3-4 hours (sprayed) and ALL of the gunk inside a 5-year+ old keg was gone.

M_C
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
samc
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Portland OR
Posts: 5,373
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts


Bleach for short term use is fine. Restaurants do it all the time in a triple sink sanitation set up. Just take a broom handle or long stick with a cloth or old sock tied on the end and scrub it with some bleach, then rinse.

Bar Keepers Friend might be your best bet.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
tjp68
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
tjp68's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Washington, MO
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
I have two corny kegs I use for fermentation. I cleaned and sanitized one after use and I guess some water or starsan got left in the bottom in the little indention in the very bottom and it developed a half ring of green mold/fungus.

I tried soaking in a strong oxiclean solution but so far only some of it has come off. I tried reaching in there with a bottle/carboy brush but I can't seem to get all of it off that way either.

Any suggestions on what I could use to scrub out the mold or what will dissolve it without damaging the keg?
I personally haven't seen the gunk that boiling water/PBW can't remove from a corny. I would pour boiling water (using an aluminum pitcher...be safe) in, mix some PBW and let it sit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 29,879
Liked 4534 Times on 3059 Posts


Bleach is ok if done quickly. You do NOT want to let it sit there for a while though. And make sure to rinse VERY well. We all know bleach is nasty tasting in beer!

I've kept a small amount of starsan in my kegs lots of time, for months, and have never had a single sign of any fungus. Are you sure you rinsed it out after the last use??



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Used Corny Kegs with gun cleaning brushes? akthor Equipment/Sanitation 8 09-01-2010 12:26 PM
Cleaning the inside of your Keggle Bulls Beers Equipment/Sanitation 17 06-02-2010 05:37 PM
Mold on top of lagering corny keg. How to clean? greenbirds Equipment/Sanitation 10 08-31-2009 05:52 PM
Frig. Mold Cleaning? HenryHill Equipment/Sanitation 2 04-29-2008 05:58 PM
cleaning inside siphon tube idkid Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-31-2007 08:46 PM


Forum Jump