Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Black Widow Kolsch

Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Colrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just brewed this today, everything was spot on however my Saaz had an AA of 8.1% and the recipe's was around 4ish. After reading that some liked the extra Saaz I didn't reduce it by all that much.

Looking forward to seeing what it'll be like

Old 07-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #22
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colrain
Just brewed this today, everything was spot on however my Saaz had an AA of 8.1% and the recipe's was around 4ish. After reading that some liked the extra Saaz I didn't reduce it by all that much.

Looking forward to seeing what it'll be like
Was it American Saaz? I've never seen Czech Saaz that high.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #23
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Hello Lads, I was in Cologne, Germany all last week and yes, I drank Kolsch every day. The last night, I was in Frankfurt and I had a Dunkelweizen, actually two (big ones), to close it out. Now that I know what a real Kolsch is supposed to taste like, I've decided to try my hand at brewing it. Since this recipe was popular with the judges, I'll give it a try. I did notice some sweetness to every Kolsch I tried while there, so maybe the Honey Malt might be a good choice. I also noticed Kolsch was a very clean and uncluttered beer (if uncluttered is an acceptable beer description). I could tell a lot of care and time goes into making a proper Kolsch. I have temperature controlled fermentation and a spare fridge in my garage for cold crashing so that should not be a problem. I'm looking forward to the stepped mash more than anything.

I notice that OP posted a brew house efficiency >80%, so I adjusted the recipe to my system. I also had to tweak the hops a bit to since the AA was a bit higher than my supplier lists. By Feb, I should have this on tap.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
YeastieBoys
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus
Hello Lads, I was in Cologne, Germany all last week and yes, I drank Kolsch every day. The last night, I was in Frankfurt and I had a Dunkelweizen, actually two (big ones), to close it out. Now that I know what a real Kolsch is supposed to taste like, I've decided to try my hand at brewing it. Since this recipe was popular with the judges, I'll give it a try. I did notice some sweetness to every Kolsch I tried while there, so maybe the Honey Malt might be a good choice. I also noticed Kolsch was a very clean and uncluttered beer (if uncluttered is an acceptable beer description). I could tell a lot of care and time goes into making a proper Kolsch. I have temperature controlled fermentation and a spare fridge in my garage for cold crashing so that should not be a problem. I'm looking forward to the stepped mash more than anything. I notice that OP posted a brew house efficiency >80%, so I adjusted the recipe to my system. I also had to tweak the hops a bit to since the AA was a bit higher than my supplier lists. By Feb, I should have this on tap.
I've done this recipe about 15 times with minor tweaks to the recipe. I've been splitting the batch with wl 029 and wyeast 2565. Make sure to lager at least two months. It makes a huge difference.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeastieBoys View Post
I've done this recipe about 15 times with minor tweaks to the recipe. I've been splitting the batch with wl 029 and wyeast 2565. Make sure to lager at least two months. It makes a huge difference.
Okay thanks. I guess my target date is now March! Just in time for an early spring.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Brewing this up tomorrow. I think he means German Tradition for bittering hop when he says Hallertau Tradition, maybe those are the same thing? Most Hallertau is around 4.5% AA and most German Tradition is around 6.5%, so I'm using German tradition.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #27
diatonic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
Brewing this up tomorrow. I think he means German Tradition for bittering hop when he says Hallertau Tradition, maybe those are the same thing? Most Hallertau is around 4.5% AA and most German Tradition is around 6.5%, so I'm using German tradition.
Interesting, life has been kind of crazy and I had to put brewing on hold for a bit. Getting back in the swing this past month. The last pound of Hallertau I bought was ~3.5% AA, so you may be on to something, but I would think that with the 60 minute addition hop variety is less important that get getting the IBU right.

Cheers!
Kegged - Under Pressure Pale Ale (4/4/2015) - Dopplebock (1/22/2015) - Black Widow Kolsch (1/31/2015) - Pious New World (2/6/2015)
My brew rig is pretty much done :) You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #28
haeffnkr
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
I have used all the noble hops with this recipe, they all work fine.
I usally keep the IBUs at 21-22 will bump to 23-24 next time I do it.

This is one fine recipe... My process/edits for this recipe is listed in this thread.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Kevin

Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
nathan33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

just did this recipe. I followed the original recipe and added the barley and acid malt in last post. I also went off style and through in half ounce of sorachi ace at flameout. Hope it turns out well. looks like a solid recipe.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #30
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got this one mashing right now. One question: I entered the recipe into beersmith and the IBU's show 17 instead of the 22. I am going to bump the hops to get to 22. Just wondering if I entered something wrong or what the difference might have come from. A difference of 5 is not that big of deal, just wondering. I am looking forward to this one!