Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Black Widow Kolsch

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
diatonic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 727
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default All-Grain - Black Widow Kolsch

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP029
Yeast Starter: 2.4L
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 22.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 3.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 62F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 @ 34F
Tasting Notes: Fantastic crisp, clean Kolsch. Really refreshing.

This is a great beer. I brewed it for the 2009 Treasure Valley Organic Homebrew Challenge. It won "People's Choice" in public judging, and 3rd place in BJCP sanctioned judging. Found the recipe here. He lists awards he's won with this beer:

1st 2001 BRCC4 (2nd BOS)
3rd 2001 NHC First Round
2nd 2001 Indiana State Fair
1st 2001 St.Louis Brews HHHC comp
1st 2002 Boston Wortprocessors
1st 2002 KCBM comp.
1st 2002 Reggale and Dredhop comp
2nd 2002 MCAB4
1st 2002 Spirit of Free Beer
1st 2002 Indiana State Fair

Anyhow, I wanted to share this because I'm getting ready to brew a big batch for spring/summer!

When I brewed it, I didn't do any protein rests, Just the saccharification rest at 152F for 60 minutes, and mashout.

You can download a zip file with the BeerSmith recipe file & BeerXML file here. Enjoy!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Black Widow Kolsch
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Kolsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.11 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [6.40 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80 %] (15 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80 %] (5 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [2.4L Starter]


Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
10 min Protein Rest Add 11.25 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F
15 min Protein Rest Heat to 134.0 F over 2 min 134.0 F
60 min Saccharification Heat to 152.0 F over 15 min 152.0 F
20 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F
__________________
.:diatonic:.
1° - Dirty Hippie Hefe (4/17/2015) - Saison Brett (3/21/2014)
2° - Saison inspired mead (6/27/2014) - Sack mead (7/26/2014)
Kegged - Under Pressure Pale Ale (4/4/2015) - Dopplebock (1/22/2015) - Black Widow Kolsch (1/31/2015) - Pious New World (2/6/2015)
My brew rig is pretty much done :) You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs
diatonic is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
BackyardHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Humble
Posts: 96
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic
This is a great beer. I brewed it for the 2009 Treasure Valley Organic Homebrew Challenge. It won "People's Choice" in public judging, and 3rd place in BJCP sanctioned judging. Found the recipe here. He lists awards he's won with this beer:

1st 2001 BRCC4 (2nd BOS)
3rd 2001 NHC First Round
2nd 2001 Indiana State Fair
1st 2001 St.Louis Brews HHHC comp
1st 2002 Boston Wortprocessors
1st 2002 KCBM comp.
1st 2002 Reggale and Dredhop comp
2nd 2002 MCAB4
1st 2002 Spirit of Free Beer
1st 2002 Indiana State Fair

Anyhow, I wanted to share this because I'm getting ready to brew a big batch for spring/summer!

When I brewed it, I didn't do any protein rests, Just the saccharification rest at 152F for 60 minutes, and mashout.

You can download a zip file with the BeerSmith recipe file & BeerXML file here. Enjoy!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Black Widow Kolsch
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Kolsch
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.11 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
0.25 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [6.40 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80 %] (15 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.20 oz Saaz [3.80 %] (5 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [2.4L Starter]

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
10 min Protein Rest Add 11.25 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F
15 min Protein Rest Heat to 134.0 F over 2 min 134.0 F
60 min Saccharification Heat to 152.0 F over 15 min 152.0 F
20 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F
I like it! Can you please provide a partial recipe? At what temp did you ferment? How long? What temp was the secondary? How long?
__________________
On Tap- Matty's Irish Red
On Deck- Sterling Blonde
Next Brew- Summer Blonde
BackyardHB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upper Peninsula
Posts: 2,264
Liked 130 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Default


Honey malt! Never thought to try that in my Kölsch recipe iterations! Neat idea (credited to original author)

Were there any notes from the BJCP judges about hop aroma/flavor? I'm under the impression that Kölsch style usually doesn't have any hop additions after the 30 or 20 minute mark. Not that it really matters, since this recipe is obviously a hit.

Thanks for posting! I might give this a shot next time a brew a Kölsch (subtracting some wheat, though).

TB
__________________
On tap:
1. ESB 2. Citrus Wheat 3. Czech Pils 4. Ger Pils 5.[Nitrogen] Dry Stout
Primary:
1. Porter 2. Porter 3. Saison 4. Saison 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Lambic 3. Lambic 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 18 gallons of beer & 3 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bock x2, ESB, IPA, Czech Pils, 100% Michigan IPL x2
Tiber_Brew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
diatonic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 727
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdreams View Post
I like it! Can you please provide a partial recipe? At what temp did you ferment? How long? What temp was the secondary? How long?
I fermented it for 2 weeks at 62F, then lagered at 34F for about a month. I force carbonated it while lagering, then bottled it with the BierMuncher Bottle Filler(TM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
Honey malt! Never thought to try that in my Kölsch recipe iterations! Neat idea (credited to original author)

Were there any notes from the BJCP judges about hop aroma/flavor? I'm under the impression that Kölsch style usually doesn't have any hop additions after the 30 or 20 minute mark. Not that it really matters, since this recipe is obviously a hit.

Thanks for posting! I might give this a shot next time a brew a Kölsch (subtracting some wheat, though).

TB
I'll try to track down the scoresheets. I'm sure I have them somewhere. It was a really tasty beer, and was my first entry in to a competition.
__________________
.:diatonic:.
1° - Dirty Hippie Hefe (4/17/2015) - Saison Brett (3/21/2014)
2° - Saison inspired mead (6/27/2014) - Sack mead (7/26/2014)
Kegged - Under Pressure Pale Ale (4/4/2015) - Dopplebock (1/22/2015) - Black Widow Kolsch (1/31/2015) - Pious New World (2/6/2015)
My brew rig is pretty much done :) You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs
diatonic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
crj5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 59
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


What is gained by lagering at 34F for a month? I am a newbie, but my current understanding is that the yeast will not be active at that low of a temp. So isint this the same thing as cold crashing?
crj5000 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fleetwood
Posts: 1,123
Liked 147 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default


Lagering is basically a clarifying process. The cold temp allows the yeast to drop out of suspension, though lager yeast is meant to stay partially active at low temps.
__________________
Screw it, Lets brew it

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
whitehause is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
YeastieBoys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ferndale
Posts: 90
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default


Holy crap! I did this recipe as my first step mash. It turned out awesome. The honey malt is a nice touch with the small additions of the czech saaz hops. This beer turned out a little on the malty side, but it was awesome.

I gave a case to my buddy and it was gone in three days.

This will be a permenant staple in my brews. Thanks for the recipe!
YeastieBoys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
icantbejon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 84
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


This recipe looks like a hit. I'm interested in what the honey will bring to the profile. Making this beer this weekend.
icantbejon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Durham
Posts: 395
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbejon
This recipe looks like a hit. I'm interested in what the honey will bring to the profile. Making this beer this weekend.
Did you brew this? I'm planning on doing a Kolsch and I'd like to hear how this turned out. Thanks!
seatbelt123 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
YeastieBoys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ferndale
Posts: 90
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default


Brew this beer. I did it again, but upped the saaz for both flavoring and aroma.
YeastieBoys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Neal's Kolsch nealf Light Hybrid Beer 59 11-06-2012 05:25 PM
All-Grain - Mason's Kolsch masonsjax Light Hybrid Beer 2 01-25-2012 03:26 PM
All-Grain - Notatalla Kolsch stevedasleeve Light Hybrid Beer 13 01-10-2012 05:51 PM
All-Grain - Satyr Kolsch Drunkensatyr Light Hybrid Beer 0 12-01-2007 02:50 AM
Traditional Kolsch Iordz Light Hybrid Beer 0 10-14-2007 01:48 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS