Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First wort hopping w/ Columbus??

Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Grantman1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default First wort hopping w/ Columbus??

All-

I built a mash tun last weekend and plan on dialing it in this weekend, so I went to my lhbs to get the ingredients for a smash ale. Turns out there was a failed crop on simcoe (wanted to do maris otter / simcoe) and they were out of maris otter, so now it's gonna be 2-row / columbus.

I've never used columbus hops although I understand they're a good dual-purpose. I'm thinking about first-wort hopping with them after reading that this can lead to less boilovers - I'm boiling on the stove and didn't feel like dropping $20 on a huge bottle of ferm cap.

If I FWH with the columbus, i plan on skipping the flavoring additions and just doing some aroma at the end, for fear of overdoing it with such a powerful hop.

Question is, is columbus too high alpha to first wort hop with?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
bwiens
Recipes 

I FWH Columbus all the time. I only FWH and whirlpool hop and I think it turns out fantastic with the hops I use, Columbus being among them.

However, I have not done a sigle hop batch with columbus.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Grantman1
Recipes 

Yeah I decided to just go with it and FWH - glad it's worked out well for you. I was trying to be careful not to overdo it, but ended up doing an addition at 20 min....I'm bad with having hops sitting in front of me; i always use more than planned. i'll be dry hopping with it as well. One thing i noticed is that the FWH did nothing in terms of preventing a boilover, which totally happened. I've heard others saying that it's helped them.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love Columbus! It should make a great smash beer! Keep a spray bottle handy (if you don't already) when bringing your wort to a boil. You can fight back the foam with the spray until you reach the hot break. It works like a charm.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Columbus is a great variety and fine for FWH. There is no such thing as too high alpha for FWH, just adjust your quantities as appropriate like you would for any other addition.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
bwiens
Recipes 

I havent had a boil over in a long time. I FWH and add a dropper full of anti foam to a 14gal boil. I love the simplicity of FWH & whirlpool only hop additions. I can run the boil longer or shorter to hit my gravity and no worries about the hop schedule.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Grantman1
Recipes 

I'm gonna give that a shot on my next batch just to see what it's all about. I've seen some debate on whether you get a lot of hop flavor from FWH but I guess there's only one way to find out!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I did a single hop CA common all Columbus with FWH of the boiling hops. Turned out quite nice. A very underrated hop IMHO.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
November
...relax...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I made a SMaSH pale ale with Vienna and Columbus. The Hops additions were FWH, Flameout, and Dryhop only. It turned out fantastic.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
pablo1337
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

November would you mind sharing your recipe(quantities) for your Vienna/Columbus SMaSH? I have been thinking of doing a SMaSH with Columbus and dry hopping. I like the idea of keeping the hop additions simple. I just love the aroma of Columbus. Also seeing as I live in Columbus...gotta go with the home town hop.