Beer tastes sweet and flat - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer tastes sweet and flat

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
06gixxer600
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin

I'll wait a few more weeks and try it again. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll be sure to let you know if it turns out better in a few weeks.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #22
JJL

Recipes 

Feb 2010
, WI
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Legin;2638061]Your problem is probably that it is a kit. Maybe it just needed more hops to mild the sweetness and a little more carbonation for the bite.

/QUOTE]

+1....Probably just the kit. I think the biggest issue is that it probably doesn't taste like you were expecting it to taste. Assuming you had relatively fresh ingredients, and you followed the directions, it probably came out just fine. It's just not what you expected.

Also, if its got a decent head on it, its probably carbonated as much as it is going to be. You could try warming the bottles to 70-72F and wait a couple more weeks if you want, but I doubt much is going to change.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #23
BrewMasterBooks
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Rochester, NY

Did you follow the recipe step by step?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #24
06gixxer600
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin

Yeah, I followed the recipe step by step. This was my very first batch, so I wasn't going to stray from the steps.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #25
balzern
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Pennsylvania
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As someone previously said, giving the beer a few turns in the bottles will put the yeast back into suspension. Also, in one batch I conditioned my beer around 60-65 degrees and it was flat after 3 weeks. I moved it to a room at about 70-73, gave the beers a little twirl upside down ride and the beer was carbed in about two weeks. You could try what I did and see what happens. I think a warmer bottle conditioning temperature might help you out - it did for me.
Bottled: The Jabberwock - Cascadian Dark Ale, The Innkeeper British Bitter, Northern France Session Farmhouse Ale, Dunkelweizen, 19th Century Robust English Porter, English Brown Ale, American Cream Ale, Spiced Winter Ale

"All for brew. Brew for all."

Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #26
rroop32
Recipes 

Dec 2010
bear, delaware

my first ales were the same way, tasted fine out of the fermenter, we primed according and after 3 weeks it was still flat. it being winter i think when they were bottle conditioned it kind of on the cold side so we let them sit for another 3 weeks and they had turned around and carbonated them selves.

Patience young grasshopper

Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #27
06gixxer600
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin

Well I currently have the bottles sitting in my basement where the temperature is about 65-68 degrees. I will move them to a closet and give them a few turns. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
06gixxer600
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Appleton, Wisconsin

Well, after about a year I decided to try another one and I got the same taste. The first bottle I opened foamed up and out of the bottle everywhere so, I opened another one, poured it into a glass and took a sip and, it was still sweet and flat and tasted nothing like a porter, hell, not even like beer.

I just brewed the Brew Masters Whiskey Barrel Stout, it has been fermenting for 2 weeks tomorrow, so hopefully I have much better success with this one.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gixxer600 View Post
Well, after about a year I decided to try another one and I got the same taste. The first bottle I opened foamed up and out of the bottle everywhere so, I opened another one, poured it into a glass and took a sip and, it was still sweet and flat and tasted nothing like a porter, hell, not even like beer.

I just brewed the Brew Masters Whiskey Barrel Stout, it has been fermenting for 2 weeks tomorrow, so hopefully I have much better success with this one.
Sounds like it could be a sanitation issue. Gushers are an indication of a wild yeast/bacterial infection that have continued to metabolize the long-chain sugars in the beer. This creates excessive foaming and thins out the beer, leaving a very water "taste". Usually there's other off flavors too.

My Beer Cellar