Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where to bulk age?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
jason29307
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to bulk age?

Hey guys,
I am planing on doing a Barley Wine, Strong old Ale, Belgian quad, or some kind of big beer pretty soon. I am wanting to do either 4 or 5 gallons, and consume a 6 pack each year starting in 2012 and writing down tasting notes to see how the aging process is each year. I am wanting to get a OG around 1.075 to 1.085. I plan on bulk aging in secondary for about 6 months. My problem is I have a primary bucket, a 6.5 gallon carboy and a 5 gallon carboy. I am wondering if I can primary in the bucket for about 2 weeks and bulk age 4 or 5 gallons in a 6.5 glass carboy for 6 months or will that be to much head space. Or should I primary in the 6.5 carboy for about 2 months and buy another 5 gallon carboy later to bulk age for about 5 months?

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Also if you have a recipe that you think will be good or some ingredients I should use that will work good with such a big beer, molasses, honey, vanilla beans etc... please let me know.

I am wanting this to be specialty grains and extract.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
PurpleJeepXJ
Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do the second... age in the 5gal to reduce the exposure to oxygen

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ferment in either your bucket or your 6.5 and secondary in your 5. You can also secondary in kegs, that's what I do.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would not recommend aging in your bucket as the plastic is more oxygen permeable than glass. So definitely age it in the glass carboy.

Also I suggest a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. The grain bill is super simple, it's easy to make and it's delicious.

11lbs Belgian Pils
3 lbs. sugar
2.25 oz. Saaz 5.5%AA 60 mins.

Mash at 149 for 90 minutes and do a 90 min boil for DMS.

Don't boil the sugar, rather add it 4 - 5 days into fermentation. Start fermentation low at 66 then ramp up to 68 after the first few days.
Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't think anyone said anything about aging in a plastic bucket. I said ferment in either your bucket or 6.5 (primary ferment of course) and secondary (also known as aging) in your 5 to eliminate head space.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
jason29307
Recipes 

Yeah, I think I have talked my self into getting another 5 gallon carboy. So tell me, do you guys think it will be OK to keep in the primary for 2 months, or is that to long to sit on yeast, trube, etc..?
What I was thinking was to primary for 2 months and then transfer to 5 gallon carboy and add some champagne yeast to make sure it ferments out.
I plan on doing a big starter with the first yeast, with nutrient, and energizer, but for a little insurance, add the champagne yeast when transfer.

Second, with such a big beer, should I use the bucket or the 6.5 glass carboy. I am worried about blowout krausne (sp) through the air lock, or blowing the lid off the bucket. So I am wondering if you guys think I should use a blow off hose?

Third, I need some recipe ideas. Homebrewtatic suggested a Belgian Golden Strong Ale.
The things I would like to consider is something that ages real good, something that won't spoil because I am wanting to have a six pack starting 2012. I am going to do 5 gallons so that is a six pack up to 2019. I think it will be neat to look at the tasting notes I write each year. So I am thinking it will need to be very alcoholic and have lots of hops.

So I am thinking an Imperial Stout, Barley Wine, Belgian Golden Strong, Imperial Triple IPA, Etc.. Maybe with an OG starting around 1.080 to 1.100.
I would love to hear everyone's ideas, so please let me know what you think of the idea and some recipe suggestions. I will appreciate all the help.
Thanks a lot guys
Jason

Old 02-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
jason29307
Recipes 

Anyone with recipes? Is there a certain ingredient I shouldn't use? Like something that will make the beer go bad? I am planing on having at least a 6 pack in the bottles for 8 years

Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
jason29307
Recipes 

Default going all the way

Ok all, I am jumping back all in. I have pulled out the cooler mash tun, the 10 gallon pot and burner.
I have decided to do a Honey Belgium and I am going back to all grain. This will be my third batch since a two year break from brewing. When I decided to start brewing again, 2 months ago, I was planing on just doing grains and extract. But now I am going back all in. I just dissembled my keg and going to check for leaks, I will probably order a new set of o rings, and if some parts look kinda fishy,pop it valve or springs I will get some replacement parts when I order my recipe. I am going to use the keg as my secondary.
So now the recipe. I am thinking to use the AG Honey Belgium Ale for my base.I haven't brewed all grain in about two years, so I am sure I will be a little rusty with the right temp, water absorbing, strike water temp etc.. So I will probably order an extra lb or two of Belgium candy sugar, or DME or maybe use some more honey to get my OG to around 1.085 to 1.095.

If I remember correctly use 1.33 quarts of water to pound of grain.
Mash at or around 152 deg for an hour or so.

I will be doing batch sparging.
Here are some things I forgot.

1- How much water to batch sparg after first running's?
2- What temp should the sparg water be?
3- How long to leave the sparge before second running's?
4- How much wert I should have in the brew pot before boiling to yield 5 gallons?
5- Would there be any plus in doing a 90 minute boil?

Please add some info that you think I will need, be recipe, AG technique, a quick run through of the process, and some ingredients to use or stay away from. I have heard of fermcap, does that keep the foam down during boiling?

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks alot all
Jason