Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > looking for ways to cut costs? Try this!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Been wet shaving for a few months now and love it. Check out bladeandbadger.com for loads of info. I use a Merkur Progress short handle, Tabac soap, Shea Moisturizer badger brush and have come to seriously love Feather blades. More than anything, I like that shaving has become sort of a meditative activity rather than something I used to hate.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #22
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Been wet shaving for a few months now and love it. Check out bladeandbadger.com for loads of info. I use a Merkur Progress short handle, Tabac soap, Shea Moisturizer badger brush and have come to seriously love Feather blades. More than anything, I like that shaving has become sort of a meditative activity rather than something I used to hate.
amen man, i started shaving with a straight razor 5 or so years ago and haven't looked back. straight razors were what got me into 'hobbies' in the first place. i just had to make my own badger hair brush and the rest is history. i definitely agree with the meditative process statement.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #23
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
IMHO those electric razors leave a terrible shave, I've tried about 5 different ones over the years and non have come close to the shave my mach3 give me, but even the mach3 irritates my skin so I think I'll give this safety razor a try.

-=Jason=-
Did you try it for atleast 2 weeks before giving up on the electric?

I can tell you that I have found the opposite to be true. I currently have a self cleaning Braun 8595 (Not in anyway cheaper than blades - not only is the razor costly, but it has cleaning cartridges that are a tad pricey, and then the shaving blocks are $40) and I will never voluntarily shave with a razor again. Because the foil "rolls" the skin in front of the cutting block, it actually cuts the hair below the skin. I promise that it is MUCH closer than a blade - my skin is completely smooth after a shave.

The problem is that if you use a blade your hair actually lays flat on your face and makes electric shaves sub-par. You need a minimum of 2 weeks for your face to "recover" from blades. You can do this by 1. not shaving for 2 weeks or suffering through sub-par shaves for 2 weeks or so. Eventually your beard will actually start standing up.

I traveled and forgot my electric so I bought a Gilette Fusion Power. The shave was terrible. The morning shave felt like my 5 o'clock shadow (no exaggeration). Irritated my skin, and when I returned home my electric shaved like crap for a few shaves because my beard was laying flat on my face.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Here is the razor I picked up. I gave it a good oxyclean soak, a quick buff on the jewelers wheel, and a final scrub to get the compound off using mild soap and a toothbrush. other than a little brass coming through on the handle, this thing looks brand new! it is a very tame razor to shave with, I have started with red Personna blades, and I am loving it! I am going to be ordering up some feathers as well as a couple sampler packs to try different blades.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerWars View Post
Did you try it for atleast 2 weeks before giving up on the electric?

I can tell you that I have found the opposite to be true. I currently have a self cleaning Braun 8595 (Not in anyway cheaper than blades - not only is the razor costly, but it has cleaning cartridges that are a tad pricey, and then the shaving blocks are $40) and I will never voluntarily shave with a razor again. Because the foil "rolls" the skin in front of the cutting block, it actually cuts the hair below the skin. I promise that it is MUCH closer than a blade - my skin is completely smooth after a shave.

The problem is that if you use a blade your hair actually lays flat on your face and makes electric shaves sub-par. You need a minimum of 2 weeks for your face to "recover" from blades. You can do this by 1. not shaving for 2 weeks or suffering through sub-par shaves for 2 weeks or so. Eventually your beard will actually start standing up.

I traveled and forgot my electric so I bought a Gilette Fusion Power. The shave was terrible. The morning shave felt like my 5 o'clock shadow (no exaggeration). Irritated my skin, and when I returned home my electric shaved like crap for a few shaves because my beard was laying flat on my face.
my first razors were electric, norelco types. my latest electric which I still have is a Norelco that had a cleaning station that washes the blades. and yes I've used them longer than 2 weeks. used them for YEARS and the shave has never been as close as I get with blades.

Electrics are just not for me or my face, for others they might work splendid.

-=Jason=-

Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #26
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
my first razors were electric, norelco types. my latest electric which I still have is a Norelco that had a cleaning station that washes the blades. and yes I've used them longer than 2 weeks. used them for YEARS and the shave has never been as close as I get with blades.

Electrics are just not for me or my face, for others they might work splendid.

-=Jason=-
Those Norelcos don't do the job for me either. My first electric was a Norelco that was a gift. It was terrible. The foils like the Brauns are where it is at.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #27
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have a Murkur HD, Gillette 7 o'clock blades, Col Conk almond soap, and an Omega Boar brush. Took a few weeks to get the technique down, now I can shave in 10 minutes and get a baby smooth face. Never going back to cartridges.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have a 1930's era Gillette Tech Safety Razor on the way.. purchased via E-bay.

I can't wait to give it a go.

-=Jason=-

Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #29
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
I have a 1930's era Gillette Tech Safety Razor on the way.. purchased via E-bay.

I can't wait to give it a go.

-=Jason=-
Rrom everything I have read, the 30s Gillette tesh is a very tame razor, good starter razor, I havent gotten so much as a nick using mine, just remember not to use pressure, let the razors weight do the work.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #30
ryms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Here is the razor I picked up. I gave it a good oxyclean soak, a quick buff on the jewelers wheel, and a final scrub to get the compound off using mild soap and a toothbrush. other than a little brass coming through on the handle, this thing looks brand new! it is a very tame razor to shave with, I have started with red Personna blades, and I am loving it! I am going to be ordering up some feathers as well as a couple sampler packs to try different blades.

Glad you're liking it!