I LOVE South Texas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More pictures!

Yesterday, it was 80 degrees and beautiful, and I was in my favorite spot doing one of my favorite things:
DSCF5492.jpg

Bob got a small flounder, so for dinner we had three kinds of fish (speckled trout, black drum, and this flounder):

DSCF5491.jpg

Love this thread! The way thing are going, living vicariously through Lorena and Bob is the closes we’ll get to retirement.

So glad you're sharing.

Love this thread! The way thing are going, living vicariously through Lorena and Bob is the closes we’ll get to retirement.

So glad you're sharing.

I'm so excited to be here! Thanks for seeing it as "sharing" and NOT as "neener, neener". I certainly don't mean to make you guys hard at work think I'm a PITA.

We don't have a luxurious retirement, but have saved our pennies to be able to retire and spend time in a warm place. We're eating out only once per week or so, and cooking at home mostly. The stuff we like to do is free- kayaking, fishing (after the fishing license), hiking around, sitting on beaches- so we're able to do it pretty cheaply.

But I do love it here! I like the church I found, the people around here, the folks we've met in the neighborhood, the bird watchers I've run into, etc. We have some very nice neighbors who have now become friends.

Bob got an email this morning from some old friends (in every sense of the word "old") and they are sick of the cold and snow in Madison, WI- so they'll be here by about Monday to visit us and stay. I don't know how long they'll stay, but I'm looking forward to having them. Maybe they'll be here for the "Fulton Oysterfest"!

I drive through there all the time for work, Yooper. I'm glad you're enjoying Texas so much! Thanks for sharing :)

Glad you two are having a great time.

If your looking for something to do at night we used to have a lot of luck gigging along the bay shores on 361. Not sure if it's the season now though but it was a good time.

Seeing as you guys plan to go there every winter, how long before we see "Yoopers Official Mobile Brew stand Build Thread"???

Thanks for the nice words!

I was awakened last night at 3:30 AM by quite a loud noise. I never did see what it was, but it kept me up until well after 4:30. It was splashing and diving, and swimming- and it was a very quiet still night so it sounded like someone doing cannonballs in the water! I suspect it was a very large pelican who decided that fishing outside my window in the middle of the night was a good idea. Every time I'd start to fall back asleep- "KER-SPLASH!"

It even woke Bob up, and he's a very heavy sleeper!

It's hard to believe, but we've been here over a month, and are now getting ready to head home.

We'll be leaving early Sunday AM, back to the frozen tundra and ice. I don't want to go! We've met so many nice people and made new friends and fished and kayaked and boated. We have friends arriving for a visit tomorrow, from Madison, WI, and we'll be having a big fish fry.

We've already made plans to stay longer next year. The Coastal Bend is awesome, and I'm hoping that next year I can even try the gigging that TxBrew mentioned (not sure of the season- it might be too early in the spring right now).

Back