I LOVE South Texas! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I LOVE South Texas!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
scsi

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Austin, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Corpus is a great area... I grew up further south in the Rio Grande Valley, and now live up in Austin! I just can't let go of Texas

We're glad to have you here!

Primary: Orange Honey Wheat, Texas Bock, ESB
Secondary: Oktoberfest
On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper

Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

We're already making arrangements to rent either the same house next year, or another one in the neighborhood. I found a church I like and I've been socializing a bit with some friends in Port Aransas and their friends. I've checked out books from the library, gone to a science lecture, and of course been fishing!

I've never been here in the winter before, but I was in the McAllen/Pharr area in July and August a few years ago and went to SPI from there. Bob would NOT like S. Padre, I can tell you that. But we both love this area, and I'm already saying that I'd like to stay longer next time!

I'm getting into birding and today we're going up the street to the entrance of the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. (It runs down the side of our neighborhood to the bay, but the entrace is a few miles north). Hiking is also one of my hobbies, so I'm hoping to be able to do a bit of that today since it's cool out and too windy for fishing.

Pumbaa, if you decide to hop on a plane and come for a little visit, we have an extra bedroom or two!

I may not ever get down to Corpus this time- there is so much to do HERE! I do want to see the Lex but I want to go to Mustang Island State Park first, and do more fishing, and more kayaking, before I go anywhere else. You know me- I'm a small town girl, and I'm loving Rockport/Fulton so much. Right next to the causeway is the old bridge- it's now a fishing pier that goes almost all the way across the bay. I haven't even had time to fish there, or kayak from that point yet. The time is going so fast already!

I miss my grandon, though. My lil buddy probably is forgetting me. Good thing we have Skype!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

we went out earlier today and saw a pair of whooping cranes and a few big alligators and tons of birds. Then we went kayaking and oystering. Fun day!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #14
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 8705 Times on 6994 Posts

*jealous*

Glad the trip has been great!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
*jealous*

Glad the trip has been great!
It has! I got Bob to go to a couple of bars tonight. He likes staying home, and says we have better beer at home. And he's right.

Anyway, we went to a dive and had a couple of bad beers, so we went to a different place. Seriously, it was 7:45 and that place was in full swing. A cowboy band, tons of people doing the two-step and drinking and whooping it up.

We had a beer, and then came home. I thought it was the perfect bar in one respect- it was seriously going on before 8 PM! That means Bob could still make his 9 PM curfew and still be rowdy. He just rolled his eyes at me, and still went to bed by 9:30.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #16
jiggs_casey

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Independence, Missouri
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Very nice! I spent my younger years in the Houston area. I miss the weather. My wife has family in New Orleans and has been busting my chops to move there. It's tempting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

I lived in Austin as a child and my Dad used to take me to Corpus Christi (or Port O Conner) to fish every year. We caught tons of specs just like in that pic of Bob. I loved it but that was from a child's perspective (still is to a large degree!).

I'd kinda like to move back to Austin. BBQ and live music...couple of my faves.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
Dwain

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Hill Country, TX
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah Yoop, you've have caught the coldest weather we've had, at least this year. This week should be better, highs Mid 70's lows mid 60's. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

Quote:
I thought it was the perfect bar in one respect- it was seriously going on before 8 PM!
I grew up here and it was like that, especially in the little towns like that, as far back as I can remember.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
isurf
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Galveston Texas
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindel View Post
i love the corpus area too. Id move down there if i could talk the wife into it. I perfer port aransas to corpus. Fishing, food, and people are world class! The surfing isn't bad either.

Maybe its time to send a few resumes that way.
+1

Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
Yeah Yoop, you've have caught the coldest weather we've had, at least this year. This week should be better, highs Mid 70's lows mid 60's. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

I grew up here and it was like that, especially in the little towns like that, as far back as I can remember.
It's in the mid- 70s today. Much better!

I gave my dog a bath yesterday, so he could dry off on the deck and enjoy the sunshine. I'm having a blast- doing some birding and fishing, and lots and lots of walking and paddling.

The only bad news is one keg kicked already, and the second is about to. An empty kegerator is a sad thing.