Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Immersion Chilling Question(s)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Immersion Chilling Question(s)

First off, Thanks for the help and grate advice over the years!....

I have quite a few years experience under me belt with both all-grain and extract brewing and have made some wonderful beers. As I browse through the posts I see a lot of people just plopping their immersion chillers in the wort and turning on the water; no movement of the chiller or water regulation.
As for myself, I have experimented with this for years and have figured out how to get 6.5 gallons of wort down to 65-70 within 10 minutes or less by regulating the water pressure and "whirl-pooling" the chiller. I guess my question is whether or not I should be "moving" the chiller while cooling? I am under the impression that the faster I get the wort to pitching temp the better, yet I have friends and have read on hear that I shouldn't be stirring while cooling.

Any ideas?

If you plant ice you're gonna harvest the wind.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always stir my wort when cooling, gets it down to pitching temp A LOT faster that just sitting there staring at it...
Primary 1: Air
Primary 2: Air
Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Unnamable IPA, Sort of Sunshine IIPA
Bottled: English Mild, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Vienna Lager, American Amber, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #3
/bɪər nɜrd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 1427 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Sounds fine. I don't like leaving my lid off of the beer between 65F-170F, as this range is pretty vulnerable to infection. That's probably unnecessary, but I've got a pump set up so I can whirlpool with the lid on.