Portable Cask Serving Station Build - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Portable Cask Serving Station Build

Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA
Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

Inspired by the exploits of Schlenkerla and BioBeing, and my love of cask-conditioned/real ale, I built a Portable Cask Serving Station (PCSS)! Quickly, to the pics...

Started with purchasing 3 one-gallon cubitainers (polypins) from Northern Brewer with spigots. Added a length of 3/8" beer line, and the "cask" was ready. I figure that when I do 5 gallon batches, I can pull 1 gallon off and keg the rest.

12 quart Igloo Ice Cube. This is the perfect size to hold a 1 gallon cube with room for Igloo ice blankets around the sides.

The pop-up top is cool, because I drilled a hole for the beer line to run up to the pump, but my making my tower removable, I can close the top when I am on the move.

The Tower:

Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA

The tower is three sections of 4" PVC. The lower tower looks like it's for rainspout applications, as it's rectangular on one end, round on the other. I attached brackets to the inside with 3/8" machine screws and then attached the brackets to the cooler with 1/2" machine screws. Definitely measured, as I didn't want the screws protruding too far.

The Valterra RV pump is connected to a 4" end cap.

The pump and cap then fits snuggly into a 4" coupling. All three of these PVC parts are very sturdy and fit very snug. I thought I would have to glue it all together, but I think I can just let it as is to facilitate cleaning and easy removal of the tower for travel.

Finished product:

Going to test it this weekend with beer filled off a tap. I don't have anything conditioned yet. So we're just going to fill it and serve. In the filling process, I believe some of the carbonation will drop out, and I really just want to test the pump, determine if I need to build a sparkler, and really just give 'er a test drive.

Will post more pics after the weekend!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
robbiex0r
Recipes 

Jul 2008
La Crosse, WI
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Pretty cool, very simple, I like that. What is a sparkler though?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Jaysus
Recipes 

Jul 2008
H'burg, PA
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I am a big fan of the racing stripes!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
I am a big fan of the racing stripes!
I thought that electric tape was the perfect accoutrement for this 98.5% plastic build... And I like color!

And thank you for donating the test beer for Saturday:

Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
wilceaser
Recipes 

May 2009
Southeastern PA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
- You can't trigger an SSR with 120 volts - You'll let the smoke out.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA

Video of it in action on Saturday... We pulled a growler of jaysus' brown ale and then just poured it into the polypin. Just wanted to test everything out. The pump leaks a little bit right where the handle goes into the body. I heard that about these pumps. It's not real bad, but might try to see what I can do there...

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
The pump leaks a little bit right where the handle goes into the body. I heard that about these pumps. It's not real bad, but might try to see what I can do there...
Mine did the same thing, except it literally shot liquid out of the side of the pump from the handle. I returned it, waiting for a replacement from Amazon.

I also called Valterra, the manufacturer of the pump, and I think they are going to send me a new one. Evidently, this is a very common issue with these pumps, and they are trying to fix the issue.

Great setup, by the way. I am about to build the exact same setup, so this will be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lancaster, PA

Me filling the cube from a growler, lol:

One concern is that it needs a sturdier/heavier base... It wants to tilt forward when pumping. Not sure what to do there... I want to keep the portability of it.

NEXT step is to condition something in the cube... I made a 5g batch of Irish Red on Saturday, so that's the leading candidate. May end up pulling 1g into a pin, then serving the other 4 on draught.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
One concern is that it needs a sturdier/heavier base... It wants to tilt forward when pumping. Not sure what to do there... I want to keep the portability of it.
I think that's why I'm going to go with a rectangular cooler instead of a cube, more stability when pumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops